Mites in my coop

I had mites in my flock really bad last winter when the outside temps were -30 to -40 with the windchill, Nothing could kill off those stinkers. I dusted them and gutted the coop and they came back but finally in the spring i took EVERYTHING out and wiped it down with a disinfectant and dusted the coop withGarden and poultry dust and finally got rid of them. I never have a problem with mites during the warm months but seems to get worse in the colder months.

Edited because my fingers dont wanna cooperate lol

Last edited:
What is your mixture for the cinnamon oil? Do you buy straight oil? I guess I am asking for the details!

I'm going right out and buying some cinnamon oil!
big_smile.png
The DE is nice as a preventative. I've not found it effective for treatment, however. Vis a vis the whitewash, I just whitewashed my coop and I love it. It looks clean, it smells clean. It has antibacterial and antifungal qualities, it also absorbs a lot of moisture. I'm about to do the same with the rest of my animal housing. It's a nice clean way to start the winter.

I threw the bottle out but it is sort of like Orangeguard. It is a pesticide. I need to go back to the nursery and buy more so I will update you with the brand name. ACE hardware said that all the stores carry the Orangeguard but I went to my local store and the employee had no idea what I was talking about. There is another one in the town over so I will also check that out for the Orangeguard.

I am coming late to this thread about problems with mites and how you deal with them. You mentioned DE (what does that stand for?) and cinnamon oil. Where do you buy those items? I have a rooster who seems to have mites and I want to try to deal with it asap. However, we have snow on the ground and freezing temperatures so hosing down the coop is not an option till it gets warmer! Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi: Well DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth. I buy it at the local Agway. Not sure if you have one around you. I think you can buy it online. You can dust the rooster with it too. The other thing I use is a mite powder sevin 5. Here is a link about it: http://www.poultryhelp.com/sevindust.html. Also I usually sprinkle it on the floor of the coop before I put a layer of the pine shavings down. Do you see the mites on the walls of your coop?

Back
Top Bottom