Mites/Lice and Chicks, should I use Sevin dust?!

The Chickens' Maid

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
CT
I have a bit of a problem. Every year, around late spring, my flock gets these mites (I think they're mites, they're the type that crawl around on the feathers, light tan, tiny). I always dust with Sevin dust which takes care of them pretty quickly. I've just noticed them this year, but I don't know if I should dust because we have chicks due to hatch out, starting tomorrow! I don't know what the Sevin dust would do to the chicks. We have a kennel that we are going to put them in, but the momma hen has the mites, too! Is is safe for me to dust these mites, or will the dust hurt the chicks? Will it hurt them if I let them get the mites until they are old enough to dust? These little things drive my poor head hen crazy; I'd like to at least dust the rest of the coop. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, I dusted the chickens with Sevin dust. The broody was mad, but I'm especially glad I dusted her. She seemed very unhappy. Thanks a lot!

sounds like you need to clean and delouse the chicken houses

I really believe it is some kind of feather mite
give the chickens after cleaning and spraying the coop this
2 tbsp of ACV in a gallon of water

also some feed it to all chickens
wet mash probiotic
1 qt of dry crumbles
1/4 cup of yoguart
1-1/2 qt of milk any kind
mix good and feed each adult chicken 3 tbsp of wet mash probiotic

*****I also would take a look at the chicken house and see if any of the building has split boards or knot holes as the mites live there and feed on the birds
thus you can paint the spots of the building with

1 qt of kerosene
1 qt of mineral oil
with paint brush apply to the roosts and knot holes and cracks in the boards

also clean the bedding out of the building and put seven 5% on the floor before putting the beding in

this will build up their systems as the mites and lice have depleted their blood system a lot

I to have got a problem with lice....What is wet mash probiotic and where do you get it? I have two chickens that are just eat up with them, two that have very few and the rest are clean. I also have 10/11 week old chicks in the next coop. I have checked them and the look fine. Do I dust them with Seven dust also? I am going to clean everything out of the coop today and clean again.... I found them on Sunday afternoon and I did not have any seven dust........I did have Blue lotion (an Antiseptic) I used it to coat the feather shafts of all my chickens hoping that would kill the eggs and stop a new hatxh. I also sprayed a light coating of mylatyon(sp?) on the coop and neat box....

Oh by the way can people get these lice? They just gross me out......

Back
Top Bottom