Mites, lice, nat prevention.

D100putz88

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Fluvanna county, Virginia
Hey yall, I was wondering if there is an organic safe powder to put on the coop floor under the shavings to prevent lice, mites, flys and the smell. I’ve seen different stuff but would rather ask all you chicken experts. I’ve been using wood ash which naturally kills all that stuff but I just don’t have time to keep burning in the pit when it’s hot out lol.
Thank you
Derek.

Hey yall, I was wondering if there is an organic safe powder to put on the coop floor under the shavings to prevent lice, mites, flys and the smell. I’ve seen different stuff but would rather ask all you chicken experts. I’ve been using wood ash which naturally kills all that stuff but I just don’t have time to keep burning in the pit when it’s hot out lol.
Thank you
Derek.
In the over 3 years I've kept chickens, I had one instance of lice which was caught extremely early and treated with a quick dusting with poultry dust containing permethrin. The chickens having access to good quality dusting media for bathing in is important for them to manage their skin and feathers appropriately.
You also want to get into the habit of doing monthly health checks on your flock. This is most easily accomplished at night when they've gone to roost with you wearing a headlamp so that you can handle and examine the birds with both hands.

I was wondering if there is an organic safe powder to put on the coop floor under the shavings to prevent lice, mites, flys and the smell.
If there's a bad odor/smell in the coop, then you may need to clean/scoop poop more often especially in hot humid weather.
Make sure you have all your ventilation/windows open as well.

In the over 3 years I've kept chickens, I had one instance of lice which was caught extremely early and treated with a quick dusting with poultry dust containing permethrin. The chickens having access to good quality dusting media for bathing in is important for them to manage their skin and feathers appropriately.
You also want to get into the habit of doing monthly health checks on your flock. This is most easily accomplished at night when they've gone to roost with you wearing a headlamp so that you can handle and examine the birds with both hands.
Permethrin is extremely toxic to cats. Most of the commercial stuff has permethrin in it. Wood ash works well. Diatamaceous Earth works, which is what we are using in the baths, but lice are still a big problem this year for us here.

Permethrin is extremely toxic to cats. Most of the commercial stuff has permethrin in it. Wood ash works well. Diatamaceous Earth works, which is what we are using in the baths, but lice are still a big problem this year for us here.

wait… the woods ash and DE works well, but the lice are a big problem for you?

🤔

79079B36-308F-46DD-9BBE-C602135BCE88.jpeg

They are worse than they've been for a while. I'm out of wood ash. I've been using DE and I have some 1st Saturday lime left I'm gonna use the rest of that in the nest boxes. I'm guessing they're worse because they like our hot wet summer.

They are worse than they've been for a while. I'm out of wood ash. I've been using DE and I have some 1st Saturday lime left I'm gonna use the rest of that in the nest boxes. I'm guessing they're worse because they like our hot wet summer.

just as an FYI, 1st Saturday lime is pretty much just “Barn Lime” with some other ingredients to make it smell good… and a lot fancy marketing to make folks think it’s something special

50 lbs of barn lime can be had for about $4 at your local farm supply store…

vs. 1st Saturday, which sells for about $30 for 20 lbs 😳

I'm all for using more natural approaches.
"Wood ash works well, DE works (?)" then the lice shouldn't still be a big problem right?

If you have an infestation, then treating birds and housing with a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray is something to consider so you get them gone/under control.

just as an FYI, 1st Saturday lime is pretty much just “Barn Lime” with some other ingredients to make it smell good… and a lot fancy marketing to make folks think it’s something special

50 lbs of barn lime can be had for about $4 at your local farm supply store…

vs. 1st Saturday, which sells for about $30 for 20 lbs 😳
I don't know what you mean by barn lime. if you mean agricultural lime, or garden lime, it can burn the birds' feet or eyes if it isn't completely covered by something else, and since chickens spend most of their time kicking stuff around....well....... that's why we don't use it. First Saturday lime is formulated so that it is not an irritant. It was recommended on BYC , for that reason, a long time ago. A little goes a long way. That's the reason for the additional cost.

Last edited:
I'm all for using more natural approaches.
"Wood ash works well, DE works (?)" then the lice shouldn't still be a big problem right?

If you have an infestation, then treating birds and housing with a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray is something to consider so you get them gone/under control.
If you read what I just said above??? WE can't use Permethrin in the barn because it's extremely toxic to cats, it can kill them. And we have cats you see. Yes, DE and Wood ash work, but normally we don't have to keep using it over and over.

Back
Top Bottom