Mites, lice, nat prevention.

Really, I was just commenting that they're worse than they've been in a while.....:confused:

And like I said...." Lice and Mites are most productive when the relative humidity is between 70%-90%. People that live in humid climates, such as Florida and California, report many more problems from bird mite and lice infestation than those in other climates, such as Arizona."

We have had an extremely wet, humid, hot spring and summer season here. And so it figures.

Last edited:
I don't know what you mean by barn lime. if you mean agricultural lime, or garden lime, it can burn the birds' feet or eyes if it isn't completely covered by something else, and since chickens spend most of their time kicking stuff around....well....... First Saturday lime is formulated so that it is not an irritant. It was recommended on BYC , for that reason, a long time ago. A little goes a long way.

barn line is just crushed limestone… aka
‘calcium carbonate’… it’s the same thing your high dollar 1st Saturday product is made of

And it’s is the same thing that’s been used for chicken coops since Colonel Sanders invented the chicken back in 1732…

also, not everything you read on BYC is accurate 😉

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/waukesha-lime-barnlime-50-lb-bag

If you read what I just said above??? WE can't use Permethrin in the barn because it's extremely toxic to cats, it can kill them. And we have cats you see. Yes, DE and Wood ash work, but normally we don't have to keep using it over and over.
Use cedar for your roost poles and put banana peels in the coop. The lice cannot stay where there is cedar. And the lice are attracted to the banana peels although it is toxic to them. You could use cedar shavings, but if you have light colored birds they will become stained with the cedar oil from the shavings.

barn line is just crushed limestone… aka
‘calcium carbonate’… it’s the same thing your high dollar 1st Saturday product is made of

And it’s is the same thing that’s been used for chicken coops since Colonel Sanders invented the chicken back in 1732…

also, not everything you read on BYC is accurate 😉

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/waukesha-lime-barnlime-50-lb-bag
WEll, gee, I have heard from a lot of people including locals that you don't use lime in chicken housing unless the birds are not in there. If you research lime, you'll see that it's an irritant. I'm not just relying on what people say on BYC. Obviously. Since I have always heard that it is, and from multiple sources, including my own research not necessarily on BYC, I'm gonna say that I think the majority rules.

Use cedar for your roost poles and put banana peels in the coop. The lice cannot stay where there is cedar. And the lice are attracted to the banana peels although it is toxic to them. You could use cedar shavings, but if you have light colored birds they will become stained with the cedar oil from the shavings.
Expect a mob of angry BYCers at your door with pitch forks and torches, since you suggested cedar, lol

BYC dogma states that cedar kills chickens from 30 ft away, lol

WEll, gee, I have heard from a lot of people including locals that you don't use lime in chicken housing unless the birds are not in there. If you research lime, you'll see that it's an irritant. I'm not just relying on what people say on BYC. Obviously.
There’s different products called “lime”…

barn line, garden lime, slaked lime, etc., are not all the same thing chemically speaking

barn lime is not caustic and is used in chicken coops, horse barns, mother-in-law quarters, etc

I think lime jello is safe to use too, but I’m not 100% on that 😉

Thank you, but again....cedar shavings are not recommended for chickens because cedar has proven to be damaging to their respiratory systems and livers. Also cedar dust is a carcinogen. If you go to TSC or any reputable feed store, they will tell you the same.

The banana peel theory is interesting, but how do you keep the chickens from destroying the banana peels? I will try that, though, thank you.

There’s different products called “lime”…

barn line, garden lime, slaked lime, etc., are not all the same thing chemically speaking

barn lime is not caustic and is used in chicken coops, horse barns, mother-in-law quarters, etc

I think lime jello is safe to use too, but I’m not 100% on that 😉
Barn lime is not the same as hydrated lime? Agricultural lime is hydrated lime. I have never heard of barn lime, and I don't think anybody carries it here. Wonderful if it doesn't cause irritation, where do you get it?

I use cedar chips from time to time and have never had any respiratory issues in the birds… I also don’t have lice ( knock on wood)

I would not recommend using cedar in a tightly built coop with poor ventilation though

Last edited by a moderator:
Barn lime is not the same as hydrated lime? Agricultural lime is hydrated lime. I have never heard of barn lime, and I don't think anybody carries it here. Wonderful if it doesn't cause irritation, where do you get it?
I posted a link to barn lime at tractor supply earlier … but most any farm supply store probably carries it

Back
Top Bottom