Mites? Missing throat feathers?

mbuzzz

Hatching
Jul 23, 2023
Hello! My 6 month old bearded EE has been missing feathers on her throat area for over a week (see below). She has been eating and drinking fine. The other chickens are not missing feathers.

Missing.jpg

Today I checked her whole body for mites. There is an area on her back with a dirt/sand-like substance shown below. It seems to slightly resemble pictures of northern fowl mites but not exactly, so I am not sure if it is just dirt from dust bathing (if that ever sticks to skin). Her vent and sides were clean.

IMG_7184.jpg

There are no vets in my area that treat poultry so I would like to ask here:

1. Does it look as if the dirt-like substance could be mites or just dirt?
2. Has anyone seen feathers missing only from a chicken's throat area? If so, what caused it?

Thank you for reading! I am new to Backyard Chickens so please let me know if there are any rules I am missing. I really appreciate the help.

Hard to tell if that's just dirt or if it's nits, see if it brushes off. Nits will adhere to the feather shaft.

Missing feathers from the throat area is usually from another bird plucking them out.

Hard to tell if that's just dirt or if it's nits, see if it brushes off. Nits will adhere to the feather shaft.

Missing feathers from the throat area is usually from another bird plucking them out.
Thanks! I’ll see if they brush off.

If it is another chicken plucking her throat feathers, would something like Blu Kote prevent the feathers from being plucked? Not sure if it is just for wounds.

The photo looks like sand from dust bathing.

Does she have a bestie? I have an EE hen who has bonded with a Polish hen. The Polish hen grooms the EE hen and seems to be particularly interesting in cleaning her beard. This may be a case of over grooming or she could be molting.

mbuzz, I am also thinking this is beard picking from another bird. Is she regrowing yet? Also, do you have a picture of her from when she had a beard?

Beard picking happens with my d'Anvers too... pic below is of same hen and a pic of her as a pullet with a full beard. The birds do this as a social thing. There is a genetic predisposition to eat beards in some birds.

Attachments

• IMG_4129.JPG
    IMG_4129.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Pullet2021-14626 (2).JPG
    Pullet2021-14626 (2).JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom