mites, mites, mites

Did you put the frontline in the center of their backs?  Were you concern about them eating it from their feathers?  I also am fighting mites and would love to say adios to them :barnie

i dont think mites understand spanish :( iv tried talking to them in english, spanish and even brought my buddy over to speak chinese but those little bugs just dont umderstand!! I hope u can find a way to speak to them soon:p all jokes aside mites are a huge pain i used a concentrate from tractor supply thats very safe and got rid pf them quick also its cheap

I would speak any language to them if they would just leave
woot.gif

Was it oral or did you put it directly on the chicken? What brand is it?

OK I have a couple of questions please. 1) what's DE stand for? 2) why are people buying lice shampoo? 3:) can mites be brought into the house, or can your dog's etc catch them?
Sorry lots of questions. Thank you.

DE stands for "diatomaceous earth". some swear by it, some don't.
after reading the thread, i am assuming that lice shampoo also works on mites that might have hitched a ride on people's scalps. (although mites tend to be species-specific - meaning that those that feast on chickens will scoff at dogs/people etc. and vice versa... - which might answer your 3rd question. ;-))

as for the mites that are believed to have caused chickens to die: i am assuming that a plethora of mites found crawling on one chicken are an indication of a compromised immune-system. they are a sign, not a cause.

Does the wood ash work on lice? How do you treat chickens in the winter time? I am worried about spraying them. Any suggestions? I could bring them in my house one at a time till they dry.

I have a pan of wood ash I leave out and I spray every few weeks. We had a terrible mite issue last Winter and I refuse to repeat it. I spray the coop down really well with permethrin and then I spray each bird. I don't drench them in the stuff, just enough to give me peace of mind that any little bug type creature will soon perish :)

If you are worried about chilling them by spraying then I'd recommend just dusting them really well. Dust the coop, dust their bodies, and leave a pan of dust out for whenever they want to use it.

Back
Top Bottom