Mites or Louse/Lice Help?

lindseyawest

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all, so I've had my flock for about a month-month and a half. I have five pullets/cockerels. I clean the coop about once a week and today, for the second time since I've had my flock, I turned over the dirt in the run and sprinkled poultry/garden powder on the dirt. I also sprinkle the poultry dust in the coop about once a week when I change out the pine shavings in the coop. about a week-week and a half ago, I got some Orange Guard (http://orangeguard.net/) and sprayed it on the inside and outside of the coop. Today, I sprayed it again. When I first got my pullets/cockerels, I dusted them with the poultry dust. I did it again today.

However, while I was holding one of my pullets, I saw these yellow little things that were kind of oblong, like tiny grains of rice, start to surface from under the feathers a minute-ish after putting the poultry dust on her. I thought they were a type of mite, but after doing some research, it sounds like louse or lice (is there a difference)? She was the only one I saw these things on. I feel all creepy crawly now.

Is there something more I need to do to treat her and the rest of my flock? Guide me, please - I've never dealt with anything like this (I never even had lice as a kid so I've never dealt with lice period *knock on wood*).

Thanks!

P.S. If this isn't the right forum for this question, I apologize. Please let me know where it should go instead.

The dusting brought the lice (louse is singular...but there's never just one) out from beneath her feathers.
Lice live only on the bird itself so no reason IMO to spread that dust all over everything.

Dust the birds again in 7-10 days to get any new hatchlings. You may see clumps of lice eggs at the base of feathers near the vent and other places on the chicken body.

Not sure what 'poultry dust' you are using but be sure you understand the ingredients, if it's effective against the pest you are trying to eradicate and what other consequences it might have to the environment in general and your homestead in particular ...also make sure there's no egg withdrawal associated with it.

Overuse of any insecticide can create resistance so it's best not to use them unless it's necessary and only in the manner it's most effective.

Thanks aart.
I'm using Garden and Poultry Dust (http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/y-texreg;-gardstarreg;-garden--poultry-dust-shaker-can-2-lb), active ingredient Permethrin.
The dusting brought the lice (louse is singular...but there's never just one) out from beneath her feathers.
Lice live only on the bird itself so no reason IMO to spread that dust all over everything.

Dust the birds again in 7-10 days to get any new hatchlings. You may see clumps of lice eggs at the base of feathers near the vent and other places on the chicken body.

Not sure what 'poultry dust' you are using but be sure you understand the ingredients, if it's effective against the pest you are trying to eradicate and what other consequences it might have to the environment in general and your homestead in particular ...also make sure there's no egg withdrawal associated with it.

Overuse of any insecticide can create resistance so it's best not to use them unless it's necessary and only in the manner it's most effective.

I have also used wood ashes for our wood stove to treat our chickens for both lice and mites. Generally one treatment did the job. Very simple, and nontoxic. Just douse the chicken wherever you see the lice, usually near the vent. Really bad cases I treated again in 10 days.

I agree, you don't want to be dusting with chemicals unless you have an active problem to deal with.

Do offer your flock a dust bathing area. If they free range, they will find one. If they're confined, make them one. Put some wood ash in where they like to dust bathe. Dust bathing is their natural hygiene process to keep lice and mites at bay.

Back
Top Bottom