Mites or molting?

Our girls haven't laid an egg in well over a month and there have been feathers everywhere. We've had chickens for several years and have never seen such a protracted molt. Their combs are pale and they don't seem to want to eat much (except sunflower seeds but we know their layer feed is better for them.) Does it hurt to treat them for mites even if they might not have them? Can you eat the eggs of the chickens you are treating?
You can dust chickens for parasites at any time, it won't hurt.

If there are feathers everywhere than they are probably molting. Stop or cut down on the sunflower seeds. They will cause deadly internal fat if fed too much. Switch your birds off the layer and onto a higher protein feed like an all flock or non medicated grower. A separate bowl of oyster shells will take care of any extra calcium needs. Birds will get deficient on a layer year round, especially during the molt which requires a higher protein. If they aren't receiving enough protein it will take much longer to molt.

Comes shrink up and turn pale to reflect a bird is not in a reproductive condition. It's normal whenever a hen stops laying, especially during the molt. It also happens when they are unwell, so make sure they are eating and drinking and otherwise mostly fine. Some birds will look sick during the molt too.

Our girls haven't laid an egg in well over a month and there have been feathers everywhere. We've had chickens for several years and have never seen such a protracted molt. Their combs are pale and they don't seem to want to eat much (except sunflower seeds but we know their layer feed is better for them.) Does it hurt to treat them for mites even if they might not have them? Can you eat the eggs of the chickens you are treating?

I know for fact that some folks treat for mites as a prevention measure. Which means treatment while they don't have mites doesn't hurt.
Eating their eggs while treating shouldn't be a problem as it is an external treatment.

Mites are generally mobile, they are dark specs that move quickly.

Lice tends to leave egg clusters at the base of feathers, sometimes you need to work them off as they are like glue.

They are definitely molting too.

Is that their whole area? Do you have a dust bath area for them to keep parasites under control?

I would switch them to a higher protein feed as well, especially if they are eating feathers. It also helps them molt faster, without depleting them.
One chicken ("turkey") is definatley molting. But we did have some parasites as well. Here's a video: please forgive my narrating, my wife makes fun of me for always narrating. I won't even show her videos anymore lol. Input and comments are welcome.

You can dust chickens for parasites at any time, it won't hurt.

If there are feathers everywhere than they are probably molting. Stop or cut down on the sunflower seeds. They will cause deadly internal fat if fed too much. Switch your birds off the layer and onto a higher protein feed like an all flock or non medicated grower. A separate bowl of oyster shells will take care of any extra calcium needs. Birds will get deficient on a layer year round, especially during the molt which requires a higher protein. If they aren't receiving enough protein it will take much longer to molt.

Comes shrink up and turn pale to reflect a bird is not in a reproductive condition. It's normal whenever a hen stops laying, especially during the molt. It also happens when they are unwell, so make sure they are eating and drinking and otherwise mostly fine. Some birds will look sick during the molt too.

Thanks for that info! I don't think they are eating much of their layer feed, but they scarfed down the sunflower seeds. I understand I need to feed the high protein and cut out the fat for a while so I may see how they do with scrambled eggs or meal worms. Can have an example of an "all flock" food? Like a grower? We're quite a distance from an ag store.

A non medicated grower will work well. I feed one year round. I have had some of my turkey hens prolapse due to feeding too many sunflower seeds. A few that we butchered were internally greasy, and lots of internal fat, so since than my sunflower seeds usage has dropped quite a bit. Birds love them but moderation is important.

Thanks for that info...constantly learning here! We're a bit overwhelmed by the choices...can you suggest a brand name of the grower feed?

Not particularly. The brand I use is regional to the Midwest, and except for one bag of Dumor from TS I haven't tried any other brands as my birds do great on what I buy. I don't know where you are located. I buy Sprout from the local Fleet Farm.

Not particularly. The brand I use is regional to the Midwest, and except for one bag of Dumor from TS I haven't tried any other brands as my birds do great on what I buy. I don't know where you are located. I buy Sprout from the local Fleet Farm.

I grabbed a bag of Dumor for my hens once in a pinch and they refused to eat it for about 3 straight days. I haven't yet bought any feed for protein but I often give them all sorts of leftovers and treats high in protein. Sometimes meatballs haha
I gave them meal worms recently too

Out local Agway recommended Hearty Hen - so we're going to give that a go. When your hens refused to eat, did they finally start given no other options?

Back
Top Bottom