Mites, over grooming by hens or just a hard molt?

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Premium Feather Member
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
He's only been losing feathers in his saddle, a few of his sickle and the upper neck hackles. The hens that started a pretty hard molt at the same time nearly have all their feathers back.

His saddle does not look irritated like the neck does. Just normal molt look. None of the others in the flock has an issue like this. Fifty plus in flock.

Thank you for any help with this.

1000004712.jpg

1000004708.jpg

1000004705.jpg

This is something else. Best to get a good place for a sand bath. DE and sand and powdered borax(use your instincts as to how much). You could also put some salve on the bare spots. Possibly use organic coconut oil add some de and A very tiny amount of clove oil with the coconut oil 1 drop (or more) and adding some de into the coconut oil. You must research the use of clove oil. I remember that some mite solutions for chickens do have clove in it. But it is not mites. And consistency to apply for some time over and over. Be careful not to add too much at first. That is just my opinion and what I would do. I would do the wattles too and some of the affected feathers too.

Have you or anyone ever used colloidal silver liquid on a chicken? I put that in my dogs eyes. Just sayin'

Is it a possibility he has dandruff? That is a fungal issue.

He's only been losing feathers in his saddle, a few of his sickle and the upper neck hackles. The hens that started a pretty hard molt at the same time nearly have all their feathers back.

His saddle does not look irritated like the neck does. Just normal molt look. None of the others in the flock has an issue like this. Fifty plus in flock.

Thank you for any help with this.

View attachment 3715494
View attachment 3715495
View attachment 3715496
He's being picked.

I agree. He's being pecked by hens. Feathers are/was protein for the hens in molt. What better way to get extra protein from a rooster, and the rooster doesnt mind. I've had the same thing happen.
It would help if you provided Gamebird feed for your birds for about one month. Gamebird feed contains higher protein content. Then wean them off the Gamebird feed back to normal layer feed. The rooster will also regrow feathers.

I agree. He's being pecked by hens. Feathers are/was protein for the hens in molt. What better way to get extra protein from a rooster, and the rooster doesnt mind. I've had the same thing happen.
It would help if you provided Gamebird feed for your birds for about one month. Gamebird feed contains higher protein content. Then wean them off the Gamebird feed back to normal layer feed. The rooster will also regrow feathers.
They already get a 22% protein feed and they where being free ranged untill I had a hawk issue. This I believe started after they where cooped every day for about 2 months. If it's pecking I'm sure the Chang to being locked up caused it somewhat.

Before the cooping they had access to cat food when they wanted as well. We have 10 cats. They always leave leftover dry food.

Back
Top Bottom