Mites - PLEASE help!!!!! Can I use a bug bomb in the coop to get rid of them??

In addition to all the excellent suggestions so far, if you were planning on deworming your chickens with an Ivermectin pour on this would be a good time. I understand this will take care of the mites on the chickens.

I've used Sevin powder and it works very well. I've used it on the chickens. After a mite attack a few years ago I put Sevin under the bedding (just not where they lay eggs).

But if you are trying to go organic I don't believe you can use any of my methods
sad.png

Lots of info - thanks!

So the 5% Seven dust is what I need? Then the plan is to dust the chickens with the Seven, then clean the coop good and use Permethian liquid spray.

After 10 days or so, swap the above info & do again (Permethain spray on chickens, Seven on coop).

Does this sound good???

Think you, I read and re-read the Nutrena web sight a total of 5 times

I would be very interested in the experience of other poultry keepers with the effectiveness of Feather Fixer With Mite-Fighter Technology since the most common and destructive poultry mite, the common chicken mite swarms after dark from the cracks and crannies of the coop and roost poles in order to suck the blood from your fowl, totally bypassing the vent in most instances. Besides, the other mites that live on your chickens more or less constantly can always use the chickens eyes as their water source if they don't like the hard water around your chicken's vent.

This web sight is a good resource to begin to understand the various species of mites.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG369/notes/poultry_mites.html

What the Nutrena web sight did not tell me speaks volumes. No mention was made about chicken lice and Nutrena was very, very, very careful that they did not make the claim that their product would in any way rid your chickens or mine of mites, lice, fowl ticks, stick tight fleas or any other external chicken parasite.

As I mentioned earlier the common chicken mite is not ever present on your chickens during daylight hours so if you look for them when the Sun is up you likely won't find a single common chicken mite. However when the Sun goes down there may be thousands on every bird, but even then they are small, the color of a chicken's skin and therefor hard to see until they are engorged with blood and then turn a bright red or crimson. This mite can live for months without a chicken or other bird to feed on, but once they find a food source look out.

I use the deep litter method. 6 months ago I rescued 2 birds from an abandoned house they were in pretty rough shape. My whole coop got seriously infested. My poor chickens had holes in their feathers and bugs all over them. I got the red cans of seven dust and used the stocking method to dust my chickens. Then I dusted my whole coop, raked it in a little and then put down a new layer of litter. I did not remove any litter. within a couple of weeks all of my birds were bug free and also my coop. They are still bug free I check them constantly as I am now paranoid of them getting infected again, plus I do quite a bit of trading at my local auction and don't want to take or receive any bugs.

Go the nutrena site. It's mites the feather fixer works on. There is a pretty informative article there.
I did go to the Nutrena web sight and I read the information 5 times especially looking for any claim by Nutrena that their Feather Fixer Feed with Mite-Fighter Technology would rid fowl of mites. Nutrena was very, very, very, careful not to make any such claim. I therefor can only believe that there is no great mite fighting benefit to be gained by feeding Feather Fixer Feed with Mite-Fighter Technology.

At any rate the most destructive mite that preys on chickens is the common chicken mite. This mite lives in the cracks, and crevasses of the coop, nest, and roost poles. After dark it swarms out of hiding and attacks your birds. It is therefor not dependent on your chicken's vent for its the water source because it feeds only on blood. The common chicken mite bypasses the need to congregate around the vent. Besides, the Common female Chicken Mite lays her eggs in the same cracks and crevasses were the adult mites spends their daylight hours. Furthermore if a Northern Fowl Mite is unhappy with the taste of the water around a chickens vent because of the PH of the chicken's food, the Northern Fowl Mite can also obtain its moisture from your chickens eyes. This may be more information than many of you want but that doesn't change anything.

I would just like to add that most feed stores sell permethrin in powder form to use on the birds. It's usually called garden and poultry dust. I like Sevin dust. Permethrin is good to spray to coop, and also another spray called Ravap is very good to spray coops and birds. The litter should be removed, and all walls an nest boxes should be sprayed or treated. Birds should be dusted every 7 days for mites, and every 10 days for lice to get the eggs, until you see no more. Straw and hay brought in can harbor mites, so be aware if you use it.

Got some permethrin spray in a one quart bottle from my local feed store that worked wonders on a pheasant that I got from a breeder that was infested with lice .. and the bottle only cost me about $8 dollars. .. hope that helps

Got some permethrin spray in a one quart bottle from my local feed store that worked wonders on a pheasant that I got from a breeder that was infested with lice .. and the bottle only cost me about $8 dollars. .. hope that helps
for what you pay for the spray bottle you can buy the concentrate of 10% permethrin spray and make many many spray bottles and dip solutions, I prefer to dip them then use the remaining dip to spray the coop. I have the pro zap powder to mix with the bedding too

Would DE work. I use that stuff for everything and it seems to help everything. I received a goat that was infested with Lice. I spread powder all over him. Then the chicks started cleaning him of the DE and the lice I guess because they always pecked on him. The lice was gone pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom