Mites that won't quit

Taylermartin

Chirping
Sep 25, 2021
I have been dealing with mites for months. I have tried DE and Permethrin powder and spray. I cleaned out the entire coop with the spray and dusted the girls several times. I am not sure what to do next. Someone had suggested to use Ivermectin but I have no idea how to use it. I have also been told to try First Saturday Lime. Please help! I am not sure what to do to get rid of these things for good.

How often did you use the permethrin? Mites are deadly since they cause anemia, and they cannbe very hard to completely get rid of. Certain ones will stay on the chickens 24/7 while another type will feed on them at night and hide in the coops cracks during daylight. Mites hatch out every 3-7 days, so you need to treat the chickens 2-3 times at 7 day intervals, so the newly hatched ones do not reproduce. Permethrin won’t kill mite eggs, only the live ones. Also the bedding must be hauled away and the coop, nest boxes, ams roosts should be sprayed with permethrin spray. It lasts about 30 days. Permethrin dust is better for cold temperatures, and the spray can be used about 1 tablespoonful per chicken in warmer weather. Elector PSP is supposed to be a very good treatment as well. I would not bother with DE for a mite infestation, and it can affect lungs and eyes of bith the chickens and people.

Ivermectin can be used. The 5 mg per ml pour-on such as Ivomec or the generic dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds, placed on the back of the chicken over the spine. Then repeat in 14 days. I am not sure of the oral type of ivermectin dosage, but it could be used. It is available as horse wormer paste.

There are other methods of coop treatment, including white washing, neem oil, and sulfur powder. But the permethrin spray, which also comes in permethrin 10 concentrate, and is mixed with water is one of the least expensive and effective.

How often did you use the permethrin? Mites are deadly since they cause anemia, and they cannbe very hard to completely get rid of. Certain ones will stay on the chickens 24/7 while another type will feed on them at night and hide in the coops cracks during daylight. Mites hatch out every 3-7 days, so you need to treat the chickens 2-3 times at 7 day intervals, so the newly hatched ones do not reproduce. Permethrin won’t kill mite eggs, only the live ones. Also the bedding must be hauled away and the coop, nest boxes, ams roosts should be sprayed with permethrin spray. It lasts about 30 days. Permethrin dust is better for cold temperatures, and the spray can be used about 1 tablespoonful per chicken in warmer weather. Elector PSP is supposed to be a very good treatment as well. I would not bother with DE for a mite infestation, and it can affect lungs and eyes of bith the chickens and people.

Ivermectin can be used. The 5 mg per ml pour-on such as Ivomec or the generic dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds, placed on the back of the chicken over the spine. Then repeat in 14 days. I am not sure of the oral type of ivermectin dosage, but it could be used. It is available as horse wormer paste.

There are other methods of coop treatment, including white washing, neem oil, and sulfur powder. But the permethrin spray, which also comes in permethrin 10 concentrate, and is mixed with water is one of the least expensive and effective.
Since winter has started I have used the deep litter method. Would you suggest to clean all that out now?
Is this the pour-on? Is it toxic like the Permethrin?
vsinorthwest373207_1.jpg

Since winter has started I have used the deep litter method. Would you suggest to clean all that out now?
Is this the pour-on? Is it toxic like the Permethrin?
vsinorthwest373207_1.jpg
I also want to add that I have never seen any mites on or in the coop. Only on the tail end of the bird. Does that mean they are a certain type of mite?

Yes, that is the right ivermectin. If you could try to count the legs (mites have 8) or take a picture that might help. If the chicken has mites they are in the coop. Straw bedding has been known to harbor mites, or even brought in on straw bales. Permethrin is safe for chicken. It can be toxic to bee keeping areas or to cats, but I have used it and just keep the cats out of my coop.

The second article that shows Northern Fowl Mites looks like the ones on my girls. I have also just brought in bales of straw from an outside farm which would make sense why I have mites again since my last treatment.
Would dust baths help with treatment or not necessarily? I have read that wood ash is a good natural pesticide.

Dust baths may help, but when you have an infestation, it would be best to use something effective. I think with wood ash may be helpful, but would probably need to be used every day. Let us know what helps and how it worked.

Back
Top Bottom