Mites- Ugh!! Help!!!

ccrow

Crowing
13 Years
May 6, 2010
Southern Maine
My chickens have got mites!! I'm trying to figure out what kind, as at least one of the websites I'm looking at says treatment is different for different types. But then I look at another site and it gives the same treatment options for the different mites. Confusing to say the least!!!
idunno.gif
But I was holding one of the hens yesterday during the day and then had mites on me; is that definitive evidence of northern fowl mite as opposed to chicken mite?
So, I'm looking at cleaning out the coop, including using the shop vac to clean out all the crevices. I will also get some DE at the local TSC to put in the nest boxes. That has calcium bentonite added but I'm guessing it's still ok to use?? Looked at Poultry Protector spray, and will maybe get that to use on the birds but it sounds like it doesn't actually kill the mites... TSC had some dust that was for use on animals and on vegetables, with permethrin as the active ingredient. That says not to use it in the nest boxes, or to let it get in feed or water. When the chickens get on/off the roost or nest boxes, they kick up a flurry of shavings and I'm concerned that if I use the permethrin dust, it will then get into their feeder and waterer. Ugh...
sickbyc.gif
I guess I'll be obsessively cleaning for awhile, and obsessively checking myself for microscopic critters.

Advice welcome- I've never had to deal with this before and can use all the help I can get!!!

Different species of mites have different life cycles. It is important to interrupt the mites' life cycle if you want to be done with mites. So you should always identify your enemy before attacking him.

That's why I'm on here asking questions
smile.png
"I was holding one of the hens yesterday during the day and then had mites on me; is that definitive evidence of northern fowl mite as opposed to chicken mite?" Do you know? Anyone?? Bueller??? Lol

Does anyone know the reasons for not using permethrin in the nest box? I would like to get a quick knockdown of the population if possible even though I am well aware this will be an ongoing effort. Is there a spray form of permethrin or pyrethrin that I could use instead, so the chickens wouldn't be spreading it around when they stir things up?

My chickens have got mites!! I'm trying to figure out what kind, as at least one of the websites I'm looking at says treatment is different for different types. But then I look at another site and it gives the same treatment options for the different mites. Confusing to say the least!!!
idunno.gif
But I was holding one of the hens yesterday during the day and then had mites on me; is that definitive evidence of northern fowl mite as opposed to chicken mite?
So, I'm looking at cleaning out the coop, including using the shop vac to clean out all the crevices. I will also get some DE at the local TSC to put in the nest boxes. That has calcium bentonite added but I'm guessing it's still ok to use?? Looked at Poultry Protector spray, and will maybe get that to use on the birds but it sounds like it doesn't actually kill the mites... TSC had some dust that was for use on animals and on vegetables, with permethrin as the active ingredient. That says not to use it in the nest boxes, or to let it get in feed or water. When the chickens get on/off the roost or nest boxes, they kick up a flurry of shavings and I'm concerned that if I use the permethrin dust, it will then get into their feeder and waterer. Ugh...
sickbyc.gif
I guess I'll be obsessively cleaning for awhile, and obsessively checking myself for microscopic critters.

Advice welcome- I've never had to deal with this before and can use all the help I can get!!!
Don't bother with that...the clay won't do much and it's the majority of the volume of that product which is, I'm guessing, Red Earth or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom