Mites VS Lice-Help!

LCARTER87

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
We recently added 3 new girls to our flock, they are still seperated from the rest of our flock because they are a lot younger. This afternoon my girlfriend was holding our silkie/frizzle mix and noticed a small bug crawling around her face, I got her and noticed it looks like a small mite. We brought them inside and inspected the one girl, she does have a few little bugs on the inside of her wings, how can we get rid of them? I have read that (food grade) DE possibly would work, we already use it with our big girls to try and control the ants. I know there are lots of posts about this but its hard to file down through everything and I need answers sooner than later. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!!

Sevin dust. And its probably lice. Mites are harder to see. You will need to treat your coop and then do it again in about 7 to 10 days. DE helps keep them from getting them but doesnt do much to treat them once they have it.

Use sevin dust to dust your chickens, $4.97 at Lowe's for a 1 pound canister. Dust the inside of their house, roosts and nests. Repeat dusting your chickens again in 10 days as well as the the inside of their house again.

Is there anything we can do that will contain the mites or lice she has now? They aren't all over here but there was enough that we noticed them. I have read about giving her a bath with baby soap?

I use Eprinex. A few drops on the back of the neck and no mites, lice, or worms (except it doesn't kill tapeworms).

I use Ivermectin Pour On...4-5 drops on the birds and then repeat in 7-10 days. I do this quarterly or before I sell a bird. Wouldnt want to give something to anyone...

Also effective is "poultry dust" or Adams' flea and tick spray. The ingredients are permethrin and pyrethrins. I have a spray bottle I got at TSC of this. The spray is handy for lice on the head as you can spray your fingers to apply to the chicken, or spray the undersides of roosts, where certain of these critters hang out.

There are other products, including some dog flea products, but I don't know which, or rates to apply. 5% Sevin garden dust is what is recommended by a university study (link below.) And I agree about DE. It may help in control but will not stop an infestation. It works on soft bodied insects. My guess is, it will slow or stop eggs from hatching but not kill the adults.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=559278

We went yesterday to a local petstore and they did have Adams wash, my only concern is that it says if a human gets it on their skin to immediatly wash it off for 15-20 minutes. So its okay for us to wash our chickens with it but not get it on our skin? We got a mite and lice spray from there that is bird specific, that you spray twice a week on the bird itself and in their bedding. Any thoughts?

I am alwaws using SEVIN DUST

Carbaryl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Powder
Sevin dust
Feed stores, garden stores
$6-12
Carbamates
Mites & lice
Dust: Sprinkle in nests, dustbatheing spots, bedding, coop corners &/or on perches & birds, 1-3 times per year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom