Mites? Warning: Gross picture attached

chickenlover007

Crowing
Sep 21, 2020
PNW
I think my chicken has mites. Her butt was really red so I assumed it was pecking problems but upon closer inspection i saw little bugs walking around on her butt. I believe this to be mites. because she has it i assume my whole flock has it. Any thoughts on if it's mites or not? and if so, any recommendations on how to treat it? Also can mites be transferred to humans?

Attachments

• 2020-09-29 (1).png
    2020-09-29 (1).png
    3.2 MB · Views: 70
Hiya looks like could poss be mites i not long had a red mite infestation i pressure washed the whole coop and run and applied DE to coop and birds as its safe to do so needed to be done several times to get them all touch wood had no issues for months now and ma gals lot happier hope this helps xx

Hiya looks like could poss be mites i not long had a red mite infestation i pressure washed the whole coop and run and applied DE to coop and birds as its safe to do so needed to be done several times to get them all touch wood had no issues for months now and ma gals lot happier hope this helps xx
what is DE and where can i buy it?

I think my chicken has mites. Her butt was really red so I assumed it was pecking problems but upon closer inspection i saw little bugs walking around on her butt. I believe this to be mites. because she has it i assume my whole flock has it. Any thoughts on if it's mites or not? and if so, any recommendations on how to treat it? Also can mites be transferred to humans?
Great pic!
Those look more like lice eggs to me.
Google pics of mites and lices to figure out which it is.
And if mites, check coop at night to see if you have roost mites.

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Don't screw around with DE, it won't do a bit of good, you need an insecticide like permethrin.
Dust for the birds, spray for the coop(if roost mites).

I would treat all of the birds with permethrin including inside the coop thoroughly, every crack and crevice, everywhere. You can spray the birds or use poultry dust. I also use the poultry dust in the nest boxes. It appears like mites from the pictures, not good. Wild birds and rodents can introduce them into your flock. I get permethrin at my local TSC. The bonus is there is no egg withdrawal period. Good luck...
ChickenMites.jpg

Permethrin-10.jpg

permethrin sprayRev.png PermethrinSpraya1.png permethrinDust.jpgPermethrinSprayB1Rev.png

Back
Top Bottom