Mites what products?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xx Georgina xx, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. xx Georgina xx

xx Georgina xx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2013
    Hello,
    I have 8 beautiful chickens, however there mites are getting worse and worse everyday. Feathers are being lost on their bums, under wings, there necks and chest. I have powder but does not seem to work when I put in on once a week.

Questions:
    What products would you recommend?
    How would you get rid of the mites?
    How long do you reckon their feathers will grow back?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    my broody hen who i son day 20, and has at least one pipped egg (probably more) has mites. i just realized it. i went to move some straw that was in her face and i found little dots crawling on my hand.

she has looked really bad the last 24 hours, i thought it was because of being in the end stages of not getting off and now i'm a little more concerned. is there anything i can do? i spread some dirt over her. to the best of my knowledge there wasn't a mite problem 3 days ago. when she got off on day 17, i picked her up and went through all of her feathers to check and see because i knew she wasn't getting up for 3 days, and i didn't see any sign of bugs on her.

i could also i think sprinkle baking soda over her which is usually our go to small bug control in our house.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try treating her with Permethrin spray 10% available from feed stores, or the garden dust. Ivomec pour on is used by some people with a drop or two on the back of the neck. Read post 10 to get dosage: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1094405/ivomec-pour-on-frontline-spray

5. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    i opted to use the dust because we could get it quickly. i shredded paper inside and put it all in a box and sprinkled the sevin on that, and then i removed all the bedding that was there. i gently pushed mom off the nest which was terrifying because i wasn't sure if anyone had pipped. thank goodness, midway through day 20, not a single external pip. so i dusted a little on the nest, dusted mom, put the new bedding in and walked away.

walked into the house and realized she probably wouldn't do much to shake everything off, panicked because there was quite a bit of it, and ran inside, grabbed a towel, had my husband lift her so i could sprinkle her abdomen and chest, moved each egg gently off to the side in the same position they were in, laid the towel on top of the whole mess, gently put the eggs back, put mom back. so basically at this point we have a nice dusty layer of sevin on the ground, then a layer of sevin dusted shredded paper, then a clean, non dusted towel, eggs, mama.

not 100% sure i made every right decision, but after looking at a lot more threads on here, i have seen a lot of people say they used sevin on broody hens and were nervous and had no major ill effects.

fingers crossed.

6. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Check out the Rooster Booster Sulfur Ointment.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by