mites

Pics

Frankobangs

In the Brooder
May 31, 2018
Hi, my birds have been suffering from mites for 2 years and I have been treating them for 2 years, I manage to keep it a little bit under control but it never gone away I have to treat them one time a week. I used:
1: diatomaceous earth
2: 7dust
3: apply vinegar spray
4: permethrian 10
and I torch the coop ones every week
they still have them and spent $$$$$
by the way I have about 100 chickens and the free ranged and about 25 ducks and 13 turkey
any ideas?

I feel your pain and want to hear what others recommend. I have perused the site over and over and don't have an answer either. We have used Valbazen and wood ash in their dust baths too. I haven't used sevin yet, because of the harm to bees, but I am at my wits end. I was starting to wonder if I have the wrong pest. Are these the egg sacks?

I am thinking about moving to the concept of a metal coop because of this issue. I also use the SweetPDZ granules. Does anyone know if mites can survive in that substrate?

the second picture is our roof, we are in San Diego, so they need the air, but I have a feeling that it makes it impossible to clean out the pests. My chicken's heads are a mess, their necks and the beards. It makes me so sad and helpless.
IMG_20180521_090308917.jpg
IMG_20180521_090326833.jpg

I feel your pain and want to hear what others recommend. I have perused the site over and over and don't have an answer either. We have used Valbazen and wood ash in their dust baths too. I haven't used sevin yet, because of the harm to bees, but I am at my wits end. I was starting to wonder if I have the wrong pest. Are these the egg sacks?

I am thinking about moving to the concept of a metal coop because of this issue. I also use the SweetPDZ granules. Does anyone know if mites can survive in that substrate?

the second picture is our roof, we are in San Diego, so they need the air, but I have a feeling that it makes it impossible to clean out the pests. My chicken's heads are a mess, their necks and the beards. It makes me so sad and helpless. View attachment 1411594 View attachment 1411595
Valbazen is for worms not mites.
Invest in some permethrin spray to rid the mites.
The first product is ready to use...no mixing with water required like the second product needs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 5.58.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 5.58.50 PM.png
    220.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 10.00.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 10.00.15 AM.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi, my birds have been suffering from mites for 2 years and I have been treating them for 2 years, I manage to keep it a little bit under control but it never gone away I have to treat them one time a week. I used:
1: diatomaceous earth
2: 7dust
3: apply vinegar spray
4: permethrian 10
and I torch the coop ones every week
they still have them and spent $$$$$
by the way I have about 100 chickens and the free ranged and about 25 ducks and 13 turkey
any ideas?
Use only the permethrin.
DE doesn't do squat.

Treat the coop and the birds on day one and repeat again in 10-14 days as needed.

the second picture is our roof, we are in San Diego, so they need the air, but I have a feeling that it makes it impossible to clean out the pests. My chicken's heads are a mess, their necks and the beards. It makes me so sad and helpless. View attachment 1411594 View attachment 1411595
I feel your pain too, the best way to kill the mites or any other pests is to torch the coop with propane torch the same they use to kill/burn weeds, I saw a video of a British lady use that, my only problem is I have many birds and its very hard to get rid of the mites because if I miss treating one chicken it will infect the rest with mites so its driving me crazy, do you keep them free range? cuz that helps I think

Use only the permethrin.
DE doesn't do squat.

Treat the coop and the birds on day one and repeat again in 10-14 days as needed.
I will try that, do I have to spray it on them everywhere on their bodies? because its easier to do it when they sleep I can spray under them and on there sides please more details, and I use the one that mixes with water I make is stronger then the recommendation mix cuz I feel its not working so good, do ducks get mites as well?

I feel your pain too, the best way to kill the mites or any other pests is to torch the coop with propane torch the same they use to kill/burn weeds, I saw a video of a British lady use that, my only problem is I have many birds and its very hard to get rid of the mites because if I miss treating one chicken it will infect the rest with mites so its driving me crazy, do you keep them free range? cuz that helps I think
Be very careful if you decide to do this... Someone up the road from me did this and set his pigeon loft on fire. That night they lost over 2000 pigeons I think.

Back
Top Bottom