Mites?

QueenC3

Chirping
Nov 12, 2018
Missouri
what are some signs of mites? Our barnyard mix of chicks weren’t living in the greatest conditions when we bought them.

Do mites cause the reddish skin? I’m new to the chicken life. If not mites, what is this?

Attachments

• AAC60990-9F69-41A1-A410-A76AB162A003.jpeg
    AAC60990-9F69-41A1-A410-A76AB162A003.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 26
  • A6E21A4D-4EA5-4811-B03C-B58E99D915AE.jpeg
    A6E21A4D-4EA5-4811-B03C-B58E99D915AE.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 26
How old are your chicks? Do you see them scratching alot? What are you using for bedding? Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with your location so others are aware of what time zone & climate you're in.

Mites are tiny critter, you can do a search in the Predator & Pest forum for information or look it up on the internet - bird mites. If you run you hand in their bedding, if there's mites you'll feel them crawling on you. You can check their vent, under their wings moving their feather ... Watch for any tiny crawly critters on their skin/feathers.

How old are your chicks? Do you see them scratching alot? What are you using for bedding? Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with your location so others are aware of what time zone & climate you're in.

Mites are tiny critter, you can do a search in the Predator & Pest forum for information or look it up on the internet - bird mites. If you run you hand in their bedding, if there's mites you'll feel them crawling on you. You can check their vent, under their wings moving their feather ... Watch for any tiny crawly critters on their skin/feathers.

I haven’t noticed any creep crawlies on their skin or in the bedding but their skin and sparse belly feathers concerns me. I have noticed scratching, nothing obsessive though. Pine shaving and straw for bedding- - same thing we use for our older birds. Located in Missouri .

Back
Top Bottom