LittleBird123

Songster
Nov 12, 2016
USA, Michigan
Today I was cleaning off the feathers around my chickens vent because there was poop stuck on them. Then I noticed small brownish colored mites crawling around her vent. I checked my other chickens and two others had noticeable mites but I sifted Diatomaceous Earth through all of their feathers just to be safe. I am planning on doing this a few times a day for a few days. I am going to clean out their entire coop and I am getting more DE today. Any tips on how I should disinfect the coop and treat my chickens will be very helpful. Also, can mites affect people? I had her sitting on my lap before I realized she had mites.

The mites may bite you, but they will not infest you, they need a chicken as host. A product containing permethrin is most common. DE is ineffective and can cause respiratory irritation. Since you are in Michigan and it's probably cold I would use a powder product on the birds this time of year rather than getting them wet. You can use a spray in the coop. There are permethrin products at most feed stores and tractor supplies, brands may vary. You will need to treat the birds and the coop, clean out and get rid of old bedding and nesting material (I would burn it if possible), and you will need to repeat at 7 day intervals probably at least 3 times. Here is more info with suggested treatment products:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

The mites may bite you, but they will not infest you, they need a chicken as host. A product containing permethrin is most common. DE is ineffective and can cause respiratory irritation. Since you are in Michigan and it's probably cold I would use a powder product on the birds this time of year rather than getting them wet. You can use a spray in the coop. There are permethrin products at most feed stores and tractor supplies, brands may vary. You will need to treat the birds and the coop, clean out and get rid of old bedding and nesting material (I would burn it if possible), and you will need to repeat at 7 day intervals probably at least 3 times. Here is more info with suggested treatment products:
Elector PSP and garden and poultry dust seems like they would work. have you used garden and poultry dust on chickens? I will have to see if any stores around me sell it. It does not seem like they have a very severe infestation. I check them around every other day and this is the first day I noticed the mites. I think I will try to find some Elector PSP to spray in the coop. I will try to burn their bedding but it will be a lot to burn.

Is Elector PSP sold in any smaller sizes? The large jug is a bit too expensive for me.

We had issue with mites and I tried both de and cleaning out the bedding. The only thing I found hat had helped was a vinegar, cyane pepper water spray. I sprayed it on the roost and on the floor of the coop before adding yet another thing of new bedding and in the nesting boxes. I also sprayed the coop ceiling. I did this every morning and night for a week and this not only got rid of the mites but also a small ant mound by the coop I sprayed the left over spray on. This spray is homemade. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Last edited:

As much as I want to use the Elector PSP it is just too expensive for me right now. I think I am going to just get the garden and poultry dust and sprinkle that in the coop. How often would you suggest putting something like this on the chickens?

You need to do it at least 3 times at 7 day intervals, and then see if they are gone. It's a good idea to do regular checks of them to check for them, it's pretty common. When you get the dust you can put them in a bag with the dust, with their head sticking out and shake the bag around them real good. Elector PSP is reportedly very good stuff, but it is expensive. I think it lasts a long time. I've never seen it in a smaller bottle, or would have it myself. I would use the liquid permethrin in the coop, it will get in the cracks and crannies better. It's not very expensive. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...rin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-8-oz?rfk=1
And if it wasn't winter, I'd use that on the birds too.

You need to do it at least 3 times at 7 day intervals, and then see if they are gone. It's a good idea to do regular checks of them to check for them, it's pretty common. When you get the dust you can put them in a bag with the dust, with their head sticking out and shake the bag around them real good. Elector PSP is reportedly very good stuff, but it is expensive. I think it lasts a long time. I've never seen it in a smaller bottle, or would have it myself. I would use the liquid permethrin in the coop, it will get in the cracks and crannies better. It's not very expensive. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...rin-10-livestock-and-premise-spray-8-oz?rfk=1
And if it wasn't winter, I'd use that on the birds too.

Can you spray permethrin on the chickens themselves

Back
Top Bottom