Mites!!! :-(

I've been dealing with mites on my birds since last year, and it's about reinfection here. the permethrin kills them, but then the wild house wrens bring in new ones weekly. :he
Unless I keep the flock totally inside, this will continue to happen. My current plan is to stay ahead of severe infestations and try to keep smiling.
Mary
Wow that seems like a terrible situation! I would hate to keep warding them off year round. That and my husband might release the hens into the wild if it becomes that kind of an issue. Do you have a covered run?

:rant
I have a nice secure coop and run combination, but do free range as much as possible. Then, the wrens come in, and the birds have contact with them outside too.
Mary
Maybe that’s the trouble! We just had a massive flock of sparrows in Redwing blackbirds take up residence in some arbor vita trees that they like to roll under. And I say massive and I’m not kidding as there may be 1000 of them!!!

I have been fighting these buggers for a year and a half. I started reading about the life cycle of mites and found conflicting information. One site says 3 weeks, dig deeper and some say 3 months. (it's definitely not 3 weeks, I can confirm that!) I've tried dusting, bathing, spinosads, permethrin and have moved on to trying liberty 50 (permethrine and pyiproxfen) frontline (fipronil =s-methoprene). Next, I'm washing everyone, frontlining and moving to a coop that hasn't been occupied since November. Wish me luck. I'm crossing every appendage I own.
How aweful! Where are you located?

Just about any insecticide will work, but if you want to be in compliance with approved health and safety standards for poultry (see the FARAD.org website) there's a very short list of approved products.
There's a huge difference between 'pet safe' products, and products used in egg producers or any animal in our food chain. Fipronil isn't approved for any livestock, because it lingers for a very very long time.
I try to stick to approved products, because, in part, I expect commercial producers to do likewise. At a minimum, I wouldn't use anything not used on other livestock or humans already.
Rant over!
Mary

Evergreen, Colorado
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-4-20_11-56-53.png

Back
Top Bottom