Mites!!! :-(

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
So about 2 weeks ago i noticed mites on a few of the eggs i collected. I had 13 eggs and 3 mites. So next day on the roosting bars i night i tried to inspect them. Didn’t see anything but the girls were very hestitant to let me inspect.

Weekend came and it was nice so i gutted the whole coop. And i mean whole coop. It’s the back half of a 10x10 shed and i pulled every single thing out of the whole shed. Swept, wiped, changed liter, sprayed permethrin 10.

Couple days later i didn’t get the eggs until dark and lo and behold like 20 mites on them this time. Inspected the birds again and found a few on one.

Added quite a bit of DE, sand and wood ash to refresh dust bath yesterday. Checked today and the one that had a few had more than i wanted to count.

All are still acting in good health and laying regularly. If i didn’t find one on the eggs i wouldn’t have known they had them.

How long must this go on?!?!? Used permethrin 10 2 applications so far. I am so frustrated!

I've been dealing with mites on my birds since last year, and it's about reinfection here. the permethrin kills them, but then the wild house wrens bring in new ones weekly. :he
Unless I keep the flock totally inside, this will continue to happen. My current plan is to stay ahead of severe infestations and try to keep smiling.
Mary

So about 2 weeks ago i noticed mites on a few of the eggs i collected. I had 13 eggs and 3 mites. So next day on the roosting bars i night i tried to inspect them. Didn’t see anything but the girls were very hestitant to let me inspect.

Weekend came and it was nice so i gutted the whole coop. And i mean whole coop. It’s the back half of a 10x10 shed and i pulled every single thing out of the whole shed. Swept, wiped, changed liter, sprayed permethrin 10.

Couple days later i didn’t get the eggs until dark and lo and behold like 20 mites on them this time. Inspected the birds again and found a few on one.

Added quite a bit of DE, sand and wood ash to refresh dust bath yesterday. Checked today and the one that had a few had more than i wanted to count.

All are still acting in good health and laying regularly. If i didn’t find one on the eggs i wouldn’t have known they had them.

How long must this go on?!?!? Used permethrin 10 2 applications so far. I am so frustrated!

permethrin is not going to help. unfortunatelly I don't know what products you have in your country.

I have been fighting these buggers for a year and a half. I started reading about the life cycle of mites and found conflicting information. One site says 3 weeks, dig deeper and some say 3 months. (it's definitely not 3 weeks, I can confirm that!) I've tried dusting, bathing, spinosads, permethrin and have moved on to trying liberty 50 (permethrine and pyiproxfen) frontline (fipronil =s-methoprene). Next, I'm washing everyone, frontlining and moving to a coop that hasn't been occupied since November. Wish me luck. I'm crossing every appendage I own.

Back
Top Bottom