Mites?

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

I noticed some dry skin in the feathers and on the legs of one of my eight-week-old chicks. I suspected mites, and I dusted the entire coop and the chicks. I figured, better safe than sorry! Is it actually mites?

No concern about the chickens feet?
When using the lime you are not shovelling in massive quantities of the stuff so you will not have any problems with feet burn.After the last mite infestation I got I cleaned all the bedding from the coop and even got an old Hoover I had and used it to clean all the crevices in the coop.Then you just lightly dust the floor of the coop before putting in the fresh bedding.I then get a used talcum powder container and fill it with lime and use it to get in to the hard to reach crevices.I avoid putting any lime on the perches as the hens would have too much prolonged contact with it while roosting.In 5 years I have never had any problems with any of my birds feet.The real key point is getting all the crevices treated as it is here that the little buggers hide out during the day before emerging once it gets dark to do all the damage.In the 5 years I haven't had any scaly leg mites either.

Back
Top Bottom