Mites?

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

I noticed some dry skin in the feathers and on the legs of one of my eight-week-old chicks. I suspected mites, and I dusted the entire coop and the chicks. I figured, better safe than sorry! Is it actually mites?

I used to get red mites and tried all the remedies from my local agri store.I tried mite powders and DE with little success. So i sat down and had a logical think about how poultry keepers kept their animal closures disinfected before all these snake oil products came on the market.I The answer was so simple,they used hydrated lime.have been dusting my hen coops with hydrated lime for the past 5 years now and haven't had a single infestation in all that time.My theory is that the lime dries out the mites resulting in their death.
Obviously as hydrated lime can be caustic you will not apply it directly on to a bird.Just scatter it on the floor of your coop and in to all crevices where mites like to hide.

I used to get red mites and tried all the remedies from my local agri store.I tried mite powders and DE with little success. So i sat down and had a logical think about how poultry keepers kept their animal closures disinfected before all these snake oil products came on the market.I The answer was so simple,they used hydrated lime.have been dusting my hen coops with hydrated lime for the past 5 years now and haven't had a single infestation in all that time.My theory is that the lime dries out the mites resulting in their death.
Obviously as hydrated lime can be caustic you will not apply it directly on to a bird.Just scatter it on the floor of your coop and in to all crevices where mites like to hide.
Thanks! Where do you get this?

Back
Top Bottom