MITES!?!?!

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Putting the flock to bed. I found mites. I keep a small chick water in the second part of the coop. There’s 2 parts, the main coop and the add on for more room. I have one silkie in a standard flock so she gets bullied and she stays up in the add in of the coop so they don’t bug her. I’ve had a chick water there for a while so she has water and food up there. I always every night clean the waterer and give new fresh water in the morning. The rest of the flock does use this waterer sometimes as well and overall they make a mess with it. I do clean it up but it sits on a price of wood and when that gets wet I can’t really soak water out of the wood so I leave it. I picked up the water tonight and the whole bottom of it was covered in white tiny mites. At least that’s what they look to me. I took the water and the food out. I through away the food that was in the bowl and cleaned the waterer and food bowl. I through the piece of wood out of the coop. I didn’t see any mites but the bedding they can still get into. I checked the flock and no sign of mites on them. Tomorrow I am deep cleaning the entire coop. Throwing away all bedding and vacuuming everything. We are getting a separate coop for our silkie and getting her friends so this will be resolved but does anyone know any other things I should do when cleaning the coop for mites? I can’t hose it down because it won’t dry fast enough. The sun doesn’t hit it.

There are lots of different louse & mites.Some are microscopic & burrow underneath the skin. (You won't see those)They're harder to get rid of and may require ivermectin. I'm battling microscopic mites currently (I thought the rooster was causing feather loss on their backs) After using pcp & permethrin a week apart I bought ivermectin.It works from the inside out and kills those that burrow in the skin.

Attachments

• 45F87CCA-9193-4B0B-89F8-2FBC7CD218F7.jpeg
    45F87CCA-9193-4B0B-89F8-2FBC7CD218F7.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom