MITES!?!?!

There are lots of different louse & mites.Some are microscopic & burrow underneath the skin. (You won't see those)They're harder to get rid of and may require ivermectin. I'm battling microscopic mites currently (I thought the rooster was causing feather loss on their backs) After using pcp & permethrin a week apart I bought ivermectin.It works from the inside out and kills those that burrow in the skin.

There are lots of different louse & mites.Some are microscopic & burrow underneath the skin. (You won't see those)They're harder to get rid of and may require ivermectin. I'm battling microscopic mites currently (I thought the rooster was causing feather loss on their backs) After using pcp & permethrin a week apart I bought ivermectin.It works from the inside out and kills those that burrow in the skin.
I also have a rooster that’s been causing feather damage. On the back and neck no where else though. How can I tell if they have those kind of mites? He doesn’t mate my silkie and her feathers are fine.

I also have a rooster that’s been causing feather damage. On the back and neck no where else though. How can I tell if they have those kind of mites? He doesn’t mate my silkie and her feathers are fine.
I got a rooster back in Dec but pullets didn't start started excessively preening & losing feathers until March or April (apparently they were dormant until the temp rose above 45) They've lost feathers on their backs and from their vent to their belly (some worse than others) Their skin is red in those areas(some more than others). One hens has even lost feathers around on her eyes & behind her comb.

I got a rooster back in Dec but pullets didn't start started excessively preening & losing feathers until March or April (apparently they were dormant until the temp rose above 45) They've lost feathers on their backs and from their vent to their belly (some worse than others) Their skin is red in those areas(some more than others). One hens has even lost feathers around on her eyes & behind her comb.
I have one hen who has featherloss around neck and back but it’s miner from mating but her butt is losing feathers and the skin is red. She’s the only one though. No other signs. Some of it was due to pecking. I’ll keep an eye out for them.

Maybe this link will help.Sometimes its difficult to know and by the time you do its an infestation.Mites are harder to get rid of than lice.https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/scaly-face-mites

Back
Top Bottom