mites

carinlynchin

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
How often do you have to dust for mites and how do you know if they even have them?

is there a list of vaccinations chickens should have?

External Parasites;

Checking for mites.

To determine the presents of body lice or mites, pick one or two birds off the roost at night. With a good flashlight, examine the area under the tail and around the vent. If mites are present, you should be able to see them scampering for cover.

Treat with Sevin Dust, Adams dog dip or spray, Ivomec wormers (pour on or injectable-Caution: You can`t eat the eggs for a month after treating with Ivomec. Ivomec is also affective for most internal parasites)

Leg Mites;

Leg mites dig under the scales on a birds legs. They cause the scales to lift creating a rough appearance. They inahabit cracks and openings in roosts and surrounding areas.

Treat leg mites by rubbing any kind of oil on the legs. The idea is to drown them. Repeat as needed. Should be back to normal in a month.

I use frontline spray on my birds. 4-6 drops for small breeds and 6-9 drops for Large. Place a drop on the back of the neck, under the wing, on either side of the vent and on top of the head ( especially with Silkies or crested birds) It has residual effects and it is not necessary to treat monthly.

Mites are very hard to detect but if you have a bad problem you will see signs of the nests more easily than the mite themselves. Nests are areas where the feathers may appear messy or not smooth. There will be little specks along the natty feather shafts. They are the size of the point of a straight pin. Check around the vent if there are any mites you will most likely see them there. Signs of infestation would be crusty tissue around the vent.

I have one Bantam hen that hasn't had any feathers on her breast/belly for quite awhile. All my other hens look fine.
I was told 1 of my RIR that I sold had mites so I put Sevin dust out . My birds uesd to be free roam but due to them tearing up garden and flower beds they have to stay pinned.

I have 50 or so 6 week old's outside in a pen can I dust their area??

Any other suggestions on bugs???

Thanks
JT

Back
Top Bottom