Mix Breeds? Help!

LittleDragons

Chirping
Feb 13, 2020
North America
Hello! I'm curious what thease mixes would create? I'm planning on getting chicks in the spring and I'm wondering of which breed I should get the roo.

Roo/Hen

Dark Brahma/Barred Rock = ????
Dark Brahma/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ????
Dark Brahma/White Rock = ????
White Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ???
White Rock/Barred Rock = ?????
White Rock/Dark Brahma = ????
Barred Rock/White Rock = ????
Barred Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ???
Barred Rock/Dark Brahma = ?????
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/Barred Rock =?????
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/White Rock = ????
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/Dark Brahma = ?????
Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited:
Hello! I'm curious what thease mixes would create? I'm planning on getting chicks in the spring and I'm wondering of which breed I should get the roo.

Roo/Hen

Dark Brahma/Barred Rock = ????
Sons black with white barring (white dot on head at hatch), daughters solid black (both sexes with a chance of some off-color feathers, but black will predominate)
Some feathers on feet.
Dark Brahma/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ????
Sons and daughters a pattern of black-on-white. Probably multiple-laced like the dark brahma, but might be single-laced like the wyandotte. Sons will probably show some gold or red in a few places, like hackles and wings. Either sex may have faintly yellowish feathers rather than really WHITE ones.
Some feathers on feet.
Dark Brahma/White Rock = ????
Genetically, there are several ways to get a white chicken. Which one it is will affect what you get.
You could get chicks just like from the Barred Rock mother, you could get chicks similar to the ones from the Gold Laced Wyandotte mother, you could get chicks that would be solid black in both sexes.
The one thing you will not get is large amounts of red or gold color in either gender, because the rooster passes the dominant silver gene to his sons and his daughters.
Some feathers on feet.

I'm out of time for now--maybe someone else will do some more, or maybe I'll come guess more later.

Sons black with white barring (white dot on head at hatch), daughters solid black (both sexes with a chance of some off-color feathers, but black will predominate)
Some feathers on feet.

Sons and daughters a pattern of black-on-white. Probably multiple-laced like the dark brahma, but might be single-laced like the wyandotte. Sons will probably show some gold or red in a few places, like hackles and wings. Either sex may have faintly yellowish feathers rather than really WHITE ones.
Some feathers on feet.

Genetically, there are several ways to get a white chicken. Which one it is will affect what you get.
You could get chicks just like from the Barred Rock mother, you could get chicks similar to the ones from the Gold Laced Wyandotte mother, you could get chicks that would be solid black in both sexes.
The one thing you will not get is large amounts of red or gold color in either gender, because the rooster passes the dominant silver gene to his sons and his daughters.
Some feathers on feet.

I'm out of time for now--maybe someone else will do some more, or maybe I'll come guess more later.

Thanks for your reply!

You can choose many different colors from the “help pick color from list.” It a pretty cool little thing.

If you lose the link just search for chicken calculator.

Good idea!

Chicken colors:
Barred Rock is "Barred, Cuckoo"
Dark Brahma is probably "Silver Partridge"
Black Laced Gold Wyandotte would be "Gold laced (Blacktail)"
White Rock is still tricky, because of the variety of genes that can make a chicken be white--you can't tell which ones by looking at the chicken, but you will see differences in the chicks.

I forgot to mention before--the chicks with a Brahma father and White or Barred Rock mother will have a pea comb (larger than a Brahma's pea comb), the ones with Brahma father and Wyandotte mother will have a walnut comb.

Here's the rest of the list:
Barred Rock/White Rock = ????
All chicks will be black with barring, or else they will all be white (depends on the genetics of that white rock.)
Single comb, clean legs
Barred Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ???
All chicks black with barring, males may have bits of gold showing in some places
Rose comb, clean legs
Barred Rock/Dark Brahma = ?????
All chicks black with barring
Pea comb (but larger than the Brahma's comb), feathers on legs (less feathers than the Brahma has)
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/Barred Rock =?????
Sexlinked chicks: males black with barring (white or yellow headspot), females not barred--mostly black with maybe some gold in the neck/breast (i.e. black sexlinks)
Rose comb, clean legs
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/White Rock = ????
Several options, depending on the white rock:
--might get black sexlinks, like from the Barred Rock mother
--might get gold sexlinks (gold females, white males), both with black markings, or both with white markings (yes, white markings on a white male means a white bird)
--might get all black chicks, both genders
--might get all white chicks, both genders
--unlikely but not quite impossible to get gold birds with black or white markings, both genders

You can count on these two points:
If any offspring are white with black lacing, they WILL be males.
If any offspring have white bars on their feathers, they WILL be males.

Rose comb, clean legs.

Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/Dark Brahma = ?????
Sexlinked chicks: daughters gold with black markings, sons white with black markings. Markings might be single-laced (like Wyandotte) or multiple laced (like Brahma). The "white" males may have slightly yellowish feathers, or some gold/red showing in the wings and hackles.

Walnut comb, feathered legs

White Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ???
White Rock/Barred Rock = ?????
White Rock/Dark Brahma = ????

Wyandotte mother = rose comb chicks, clean legs
Barred Rock mother = single comb chicks, clean legs
Dark Brahma mother = pea comb chicks (larger comb than the Brahma), feathered legs (less feathers than the Brahma)

Colors depend on what the White Rock rooster carries.
--might be all black chicks, from all hens
--might be all white chicks, from all hens
--might be all barred chicks, from all hens
--might be chicks that look like their mothers

Personally, I'd have the rooster be the Black Laced Gold Wyandotte. You'll have more variety of colors in the chicks, and 2/3 of the chicks will be sexlinks. (Depending on the exact genetics of the White Rock, you might get sexlink chicks from all three kinds of hens with this rooster.)

Any way you decide, I'm sure you'll get some pretty chicks. And those are all nice breeds. :)

Back
Top Bottom