Mix Ducks

calderman

Chirping
Aug 29, 2020
I have 3 ducks
2 females and 1 drake
I know there mother was pekin while their dad was a mix Sliver Apple yard.
Any idea what the other breed maybe is?

Attachments

• 550BFCA3-D428-4207-BB04-A9F5F341FD32.jpeg
    550BFCA3-D428-4207-BB04-A9F5F341FD32.jpeg
    932.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 8F0DEF10-0BAD-41A2-8CE0-FAEA21C89D87.jpeg
    8F0DEF10-0BAD-41A2-8CE0-FAEA21C89D87.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 46CC1026-4A3D-40E4-958E-5AB953DFF6F2.jpeg
    46CC1026-4A3D-40E4-958E-5AB953DFF6F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 5F1A6DD9-DDF2-432C-8801-E5E3081F6F49.jpeg
    5F1A6DD9-DDF2-432C-8801-E5E3081F6F49.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Pekins and other white ducks have two recessive alleles which causes no color to be put in the feathers. They can then be carrying any other color "underneath". So, there is really no way to know what else the Silver Appleyard mix was mixed with except it probably wasn't white if there wasn't any white ducklings. If you have a picture of their father, his characteristics might give more clues. Regardless, they are beautiful!

There father could have been 3 ducks a full sliver Apple yard, a pekin or the mix and well I am going with the mix I think that is a good one to go with.
I wish I had a picture of there father but I don’t, he looks just like the drake in the picture and I was thinking it was Cayuga. Could there be a chance at all that’s it?

So, dad is not the Pekin, the babies would all be white. Dad could be the Appleyard or the mix. I would suspect the Appleyard but it could be either. The black color could be from the Pekin mother. You might enjoy looking at other peoples different mixes on this post: mixed-breed-ducks.

Hmmm I have only gotten one white duck from the pekin line all others are many colors including black.
Do you mean you crossed two white ducks and got other colors? That would be unexpected. If you mean you crossed two that were half Pekin, that would make sense. There would only be a 25% probability of a duckling being white. In the original poster’s case, the mother is white. If the mixed father had a parent who was white there would have been a 50% probability of each duckling being white.

There father could have been 3 ducks a full sliver Apple yard, a pekin or the mix and well I am going with the mix I think that is a good one to go with.
I wish I had a picture of there father but I don’t, he looks just like the drake in the picture and I was thinking it was Cayuga. Could there be a chance at all that’s it?

I'm having trouble what you are saying. Are these three drakes the potential paternal grandfather of your new ducks?

Your ducks definitely don't have a pure pekin as their father, and a pure appleyard is also impossible since the drake's head doesn't have the light throat that an appleyard is supposed to.

They look like they might have cayuga ancestry. Their overall color (black with white bib) can come from the pekin, but they have a large amount of iridescence which makes me think of a cayuga.

I'm having trouble what you are saying. Are these three drakes the potential paternal grandfather of your new ducks?

Your ducks definitely don't have a pure pekin as their father, and a pure appleyard is also impossible since the drake's head doesn't have the light throat that an appleyard is supposed to.

They look like they might have cayuga ancestry. Their overall color (black with white bib) can come from the pekin, but they have a large amount of iridescence which makes me think of a cayuga.
I will let the original poster reply but I understood him/her to mean the ducks pictured father not grand father could be any of the three.
Are you saying that a drake produced from a cross between an Appleyard and a Pekin should have a white throat? Does the white throat come from the restricted allele? I ask because I have a drake from an Appleyard drake and a Khaki hen and he does not have a white throat?! He is a little lighter under his chin and neck front when he is in eclipse but not in his breeding plumage. He has pure white under his wings which I understood was from the restricted allele. I realize my drake would most likely be different from the op because he also would have one dusky gene from his mother but since it is recessive to restricted does that matter? I would love to understand this because I am expecting eggs, which he fathered, to hatch this week.
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_2494.jpg

Back
Top Bottom