Mixed ages..will roos abuse the little girls?

my first peepers

Songster
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
South Western VT
I have two pullets at 8 weeks that I want to add in about a week to my flock of 15 weeks. The big ones are three girls and a roo. I have a carefully planned slow introduction routine all laid out. My fear is that now that my roo is getting to be that age where he likes the girls, will he try to mate the young girls who aren't ready yet or will he know the difference?

he will try
ep.gif

I just read this a few days ago

"For chicks over 6 weeks old!
If you're going to introduce your chicks to an older flock of birds, this is a good way to make sure they can get to enough feed. In your chicken yard or coop, construct an area that you can keep a supply of grower feed and water in. It should have entrance holes that are too small for the older birds to get in. Confine the young birds in there for a few days (at least during the day-- you could return them to the brooder at night). They'll learn where the food is and when you open the entrances they will soon start going out. The older birds will pick on them, but it should be fine as the chicks will have a safe refuge to which they can retreat."

from this site.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

I hope this helps.

A-

I asked the same question when my girls were about 6 weeks old. My rooster started visiting the girls once I put them outside and by necessity he went to live with them when they were 7 weeks old. He has not tried to breed any of them as of yet they are now 11 weeks old. His role seems to be that of a curmudgeony old bachelor uncle.

My rooster mostly ignores the youngsters, 8 wk. on the 15 th. He didn't start to breed my junior girls until they were about 5 months. Maybe mine is an exception, but I've never heard of a rooster breeding pullets that young!

My roos is about 20 weeks old and has 6 girls of his own. I tried introducing 3 15 week old pullets and had to seperate them because he just wouldn't stop trying to mate them. He was mean and rough with them, not at all like he is with his existing 6 girls.

I'm planning to wait until they are a bit bigger before I try again.

Back
Top Bottom