Mixed breed chicks-good, bad or just unpredictable?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jashdon, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Hi all,

We recently had one of our broody hens hatch some eggs. The pappa is a barred rock but each chick has a different mother so they are mixed. I was recently talking to my brother in law who takes care of animals at a non profit farm and he told me that mixed breed chickens are bad because they don't lay well. Is that true or is it more like plant hybrids where you just don't know what you're going to get? See pictures of pappa and chicks below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Nonsense, our mixes have started laying beautifully!

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    This is the first year that I have had mixed breeds. I really like them. They lay good. When I wanted chicks they would sit great. The mixed chicks are all different colors. Some are real beautiful. Don't worry. Mix it up.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So cute! I have a bunch of mixed chickens, and I have eggs coming out my ears. If the hens you have are good layers, then you should have good layers out of your chicks. My silkie brama crosses(accidental) are some of my best, most determined layers. They scoot under the turkey who thinks it's a chicken, to lay their eggs.They also seem a little better at not getting sick, compared to my pure bred. But that's my opin. [​IMG]

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I think it just depends just like it varies with the purebreds. My mixed chicks are so colorful and different so it's fun. Mine are not old enough to lay yet but I am sure they will lay just the same as purebreds.

6. dragonlili

dragonlili Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    N Middle TN
    I was concerned about mixes, but I'll tell you, I'm so happy with the mixed babies we've allowed our broodies to hatch. I have a prettyy silkie/americauna pullet a silkie/cochin cockeral, and a pair of sebright/dutch.

Why not? You never know what you'll get.

I just have one question. Can a hen be inseminated by more than 1 rooster and have different dads in the same clutch of eggs? I'm trying to solve some paternity issues here!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Mix birds are a mixed bag, but I've found that they lay no worse than regular birds. Hybrid birds are often used in commercial farms because they lay better. However, both parent strains of commercial hybirds are bred to be good egg layers too.

As for paternity issues. One hen can have a clutch with many different fathers as they can store sperm up to 3 weeks or so.

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Most of my mxed breeds begin laying at an earlier age and lay just as well if not better than my purebreeds. Now I suppose if you mixed two breeds not known for their laying ability,the offspring would probably follow suit.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Don't forget many breeds were started by mixing breeds to come up with a new one.

10. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    My best layer, is a EE mixed with I think banty cochin, and that chicken lays an egg almost every day, at 3 years old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by