Mixed breed, or "mixed" breed?

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
So recently I foundout my 3 "mixed breed" hens were actually Barred Rocks! I was so excited:celebrate
20180101_172247.jpg

When the lady sold them to me, I had no idea where they came from. She had 5 RIRs, purebreds, and the new chicks she got were a combination of Barred Rocks, a Silkie, etc.
Got me thinking...
When I asked her what breed they all were, she said "Barnyard mix". But doesn't that always mean "a mix of pure breeds" in hatcheries?
Now I'm more curious than anything. You think the 2 others could be pure? I doubt it, but I am super curious now:p
There's my rooster, Ashley, who I wonder about, and my black hen Beetle, who I also wonder about.
And of course Wobbles, my handicapped barred Rock.:love
Thoughts?
20180101_121017.jpg

Hmm, he does. But he is at least 8 pounds. Are ameraucanas big enough?
Edit: His comb type isn't right. The ameraucanas I see all have smaller combs, and much smaller wattles.
He's an Easter Egger. His coloring does not meet Ameraucana standards. He's also missing muffs and beard. Easter Eggers have a wide range of sizes, since they are a landrace/type rather than a proper breed. Easter Eggers can be clean-faced.

If he's pure for the blue shell gene, then all offspring should be olive eggers or at least lay some shade of green. If he's only got a single copy, than about half will have the right genes for shades of green. The brown coating genes are more complex and don't always inherit in a predictable manner.

The second picture of the black and white bird isn't a barred rock. Could be a cuckoo marans. But the birds can also be mixes that look like pure breeds. The roo looks like a mix, what type of comb does he have? And barnyard mix could be a mix of pure breeds or could be a mix of a mix of a mix.

Back
Top Bottom