Mixed breed, or "mixed" breed?

They are marans based on your egg color. Marans have pink grey feet and skin. Barred rock have yellow, so that's one difference.

They are marans based on your egg color. Marans have pink grey feet and skin. Barred rock have yellow, so that's one difference.
Huh, interesting! I hope you're right, I have always admired Marans. Not sure about my roo though, his body type and markings are similiar, but he is very colourful. More like a mashup of "phases" (ie silver, salmon, golden, black copper) rather than one phase.

Hmm, he does. But he is at least 8 pounds. Are ameraucanas big enough?
Edit: His comb type isn't right. The ameraucanas I see all have smaller combs, and much smaller wattles.
He's an Easter Egger. His coloring does not meet Ameraucana standards. He's also missing muffs and beard. Easter Eggers have a wide range of sizes, since they are a landrace/type rather than a proper breed. Easter Eggers can be clean-faced.

He's an Easter Egger. His coloring does not meet Ameraucana standards. He's also missing muffs and beard. Easter Eggers have a wide range of sizes, since they are a landrace/type rather than a proper breed. Easter Eggers can be clean-faced.
But easter eggers are so light.... He is 8+ pounds. His comb is also fairly large, I've been told it's a pea comb (by you, I think), but it's a super large one. :confused:
How would I end up with an EE, marans, from a barnyard mix (second party I got it from though)? Seems odd to me.

All of my Easter Egger roosters have been large.
My Goldilocks is a monster, well over 10 pounds and stands 2.5 feet tall. His mother is an 8 pound hen.
Wow! Unique. They're always classified as "5 pound medium birds". But, I believe you. Would an EE maran cross make a olive egger? Someone told me it would.

If he's pure for the blue shell gene, then all offspring should be olive eggers or at least lay some shade of green. If he's only got a single copy, than about half will have the right genes for shades of green. The brown coating genes are more complex and don't always inherit in a predictable manner.

Back
Top Bottom