Mixed breeds

David LaRiviere

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm new so please be kind. Is it better to "have one breed of choice", better to "mix it up" or it "really doesn't matter except for don't mix this one with that one".

Thanks. In the learning process.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm new so please be kind. Is it better to "have one breed of choice", better to "mix it up" or it "really doesn't matter except for don't mix this one with that one".

Thanks. In the learning process.
Unless you are wanting to breed your chickens pure, go with a mixed flock. You get different colors, personalities, and egg colors. In the end, it matters what you like. Different breeds of chickens get along pretty well so you're good. Have fun! Post pics when you get them! :D

Mixed flock (multiple breeds) or mixed chickens (mutts)?

In the former case, mixed flocks are great. They work very well. Some birds are not suitable for mixing with other birds.
~Chickens with obvious "deformities" such as a single crested Polish in a pen of Barred Rocks, are often not going to do well. The other birds will usually pick, and pick, and pick.
~Chickens that are easily bullied (Faverolles) probably shouldn't be kept in a pen of Production Reds (fairly aggressive birds.)
~If you do get aggressive breeds (and many of the "friendlier" breeds are actually just bolder, ergo, more aggressive) raise them with the more docile ones from the start, and have plenty of space.

But most birds of similar size and shape will do well, and if you have a small flock of a few breeds of very different-looking chickens (so that the flock doesn't have a single victim) it can be an interesting look, and a working flock.

In the latter case, mix whatever you want. Have fun. Post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom