1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mixed chicks and pecking...too much.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emcthegirls, Jan 28, 2013.

1. emcthegirls

emcthegirls New Egg

Jan 23, 2013
    We had three chicks, one bantam cochin remains, emma. Very lonely for one week, we put a stuffie in the cage with her to snuggle. She likes to be held. Found another set of chicks (standard size and within a week or so of age)...orpington and cookoo moran to join her. The moran has pecked at the bwntum feet feathers and the neck of the orpinton leaving ouchies. I now have the cochin and orpington (twice the size) together, they (emma and lilly) r doing well. The muran (hawk) is in a seperate area that inset up, both areas with heaters etc. Suggestions?

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I also had the same problem with my new chicks ....I seperated them into naughty and nice. If the naughties stay naughty they will be gone but I assume once they are out and about they will just seperate from one another as the order gets established...there will always be a low ranking bird no matter what but they can better defend themselves as they get older. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by