Mixed duck flock?

I was thinking about maybe getting a couple silkie chickens to act as brood hens if none of my ducks decide to go broody in a timely manner. Have you used yours for that?
Seems like silkies would not be the most efficient for duck eggs... Small hen, big eggs. She'd only be able to cover and hatch a few eggs. Maybe LF cochins or buff orpingtons would be better?

Seems like silkies would not be the most efficient for duck eggs... Small hen, big eggs.  She'd only be able to cover and hatch a few eggs.  Maybe LF cochins or buff orpingtons would be better?

Don't underestimate the fluffiness of a silkie!! They may be small but the fluff alone is incredible. I swear if you shaved one down it would be the size of a mouse!! Silkie's are renowned mothers for just about any kind of egg, but I've never tried it. Maybe your right :)

I was thinking about maybe getting a couple silkie chickens to act as brood hens if none of my ducks decide to go broody in a timely manner. Have you used yours for that?
Seems like silkies would not be the most efficient for duck eggs... Small hen, big eggs.  She'd only be able to cover and hatch a few eggs.  Maybe LF cochins or buff orpingtons would be better?

Muscovies. They are fantastic broodies. :D

I have a flock of 10 different breeds(Welsh, Blue and Black Swedish, Khaki Campbell, Golden 300, Rouen, White Layer, Crested, Buff, and Cayuga) and they all get along great! It's fun watching them chase little birds away from their food. Unfortunately 5 of them were attacked by a weasel and 3 of them (Black Swedish, Golden 300, Welsh) did not make it. I let the other 2 back outside permanently yesterday after a 2 week recovery inside and they are doing fine now. I recently brought home 3 ducklings, a Welsh and 2 Anconas. They are so cute

Thanks everyone so much for your opinions and pictures! I'm so excited to add some ducks in! If everyone doesn't mind me asking what do you guys use your ducks for, eggs, meat, cuteness?

Back
Top Bottom