Mixed duck flock?

chicksducks1

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
I'm getting ready to get some ducklings in may, I had definitely decided I want some Muscovy ducklings, but now I'm thinking maybe I would like some kaki kambells. How do ducks do in a flock of mixed duck breeds?

One of the reason I chose ducks over chickens is that from what I had read, ducks don't seem to care about different breeds as much. I knew that whatever species of backyard poultry I got, that I wouldn't be able to settle on just one or two breeds - not without doing proper "scientific research" by owning lots of different breeds. (See, I'm not addicted to ducks, I'm doing important research! :clap )

Right now, I have four different breeds of ducks and they are getting along just fine. :fl

I have 1 splash Swedish, 3 buffs, and 2 pekins. They get along great and they room with my two silkie chickens. Mixed flock is the way to go!
1f913.png

I was thinking about maybe getting a couple silkie chickens to act as brood hens if none of my ducks decide to go broody in a timely manner. Have you used yours for that?
Seems like silkies would not be the most efficient for duck eggs... Small hen, big eggs.  She'd only be able to cover and hatch a few eggs.  Maybe LF cochins or buff orpingtons would be better?

Muscovies. They are fantastic broodies. :D

One of the reason I chose ducks over chickens is that from what I had read, ducks don't seem to care about different breeds as much. I knew that whatever species of backyard poultry I got, that I wouldn't be able to settle on just one or two breeds - not without doing proper "scientific research" by owning lots of different breeds. (See, I'm not addicted to ducks, I'm doing important research! :clap )

Right now, I have four different breeds of ducks and they are getting along just fine. :fl

That's so perfect! I have to start telling my husband that when ever I bring home a new chick and soon to be ducks! Thanks so much for your experience! Now I have an excuse to get more birds and expand my research!
1f602.png

Recognize that if muscovies cross with other ducks, the offspring are sterile.
We have a mixed flock... they were collected for free through craig's list and we like them.
~10 pekins
1 pair of harlequins
1 khaki campbell
~9 magpie-ish mixed color mutts

Recognize that if muscovies cross with other ducks, the offspring are sterile.
We have a mixed flock... they were collected for free through craig's list and we like them.
~10 pekins
1 pair of harlequins
1 khaki campbell
~9 magpie-ish mixed color mutts

I'm not to worried about them being sterile as I always love buying some babies haha. If you don't mind me asking which of those breeds do you like the best?

I'm not to worried about them being sterile as I always love buying some babies haha. If you don't mind me asking which of those breeds do you like the best?
No preference. The magpie mutts are distinct looking, so each is more individual (good for naming if that's your thing) I think that the harlequin are the prettiest. The khaki campbell is my least favorite, but he's done nothing especially wrong to earn that distinction.

Back
Top Bottom