NineChickens

Songster
May 23, 2017
So I think I've read that any duck that came from the mallard can produce fertile eggs, even when crossed, right?
So a Rouen mixed with a Swedish can produce fertile babies? Or a Rouen X Magpie or a Rouen X cayuga? Because I really want a male rouen, they are beautiful, and if he'd have babies with another breed I just wanna know if they'd be fertile. I'm just doing some research for down the road. Double checking what I've read

Also, completely different question:
is cayuga pronounced (K-OO-GAH) ??

Yep! That's correct.

I say it ky-OO-gah, but I've heard people say it kuh-WOG-ga. Which in IMHO I don't think is right. The way you said sounds about right.

Any mallard derived duck can cross with another and produce fertile off spring. Those offspring though can have reduced fertility or health(according to the Storey’s guide to raiding ducks). I have one drake who is 1/2 Khaki and 1/2 Appleyard and four full Khakis. When I have had chicks not hatch and die in the egg more often than not when I break the egg open I find the duckling had facial stripes which means they were his offspring. I wonder if the Appleyard genes make the ducklings too big for the smaller Khaki eggs.

Any mallard derived duck can cross with another and produce fertile off spring. Those offspring though can have reduced fertility or health(according to the Storey’s guide to raiding ducks). I have one drake who is 1/2 Khaki and 1/2 Appleyard and four full Khakis. When I have had chicks not hatch and die in the egg more often than not when I break the egg open I find the duckling had facial stripes which means they were his offspring. I wonder if the Appleyard genes make the ducklings too big for the smaller Khaki eggs.
No, the embryo always fits the egg they are in.

Back
Top Bottom