Mixed flock and lone drake

ACuriousGardener

Hatching
Jun 16, 2021
I'm feeling stressed and need advice. We have had two female ducks for five years. We decided this year to expand our flock with one more female duck and three silkie chicks. The chicks and duck are together in the brooder and getting along great, They just turned 6 weeks.

Last week we noticed what seems to be a drake curl and a green head developing on our black Sweedish. We were not prepared for a drake.

I'm not sure what to do. We really like Peep but I've heard the drakes can try and mate with the chicks and also I'm not sure how welcoming our five year old hens will be. We live in a regular neighborhood but have a large free range enclosure for during the day ( 40'x15') and a coop with a caged enclosure which can be seperated into two areas.

I've tried to rehome the drake but to no avail. I really don't want him to be a meat duck. I've already grown attached.

Any advice?

If you can't rehome, the best thing to do is house him separately from the chickens. They can be side by side but he can't have access to the chickens. Since you mentioned the coop can be separated, can the run space be separated as well?

You'll have to decide if the female ducks are better off with him, or the chickens better off with the female ducks. Going to wager that the first option is better for the chickens, although I don't know how difficult it would be to integrate a young drake with 2 older female ducks. Chickens + a duck's love of water isn't a great mix.

If you can't rehome, the best thing to do is house him separately from the chickens. They can be side by side but he can't have access to the chickens. Since you mentioned the coop can be separated, can the run space be separated as well?

You'll have to decide if the female ducks are better off with him, or the chickens better off with the female ducks. Going to wager that the first option is better for the chickens, although I don't know how difficult it would be to integrate a young drake with 2 older female ducks. Chickens + a duck's love of water isn't a great mix.
Thank you!

Yes we will seperate the run and the coop for ducks and chickens. Now my job is introducing the drake to the other two veterans. We shall see. Crossing my fingers for peace and success. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom