Mixed flock feeding

DraftXJumper

Songster
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I have a mixed flock of 7 pullets & hens. The oldest are 19 months and the youngest are 5 months. When we introduced the younger girls, we switched the whole flock to chick starter and offered oyster shells. That all went well, but our local store is no longer carrying chick feed. I do have some layer pellets on hand though. Is 5 months close enough to feed later? The 5 & 6 month olds are not laying yet (three girls). TIA for advice.

I have a mixed flock of 7 pullets & hens. The oldest are 19 months and the youngest are 5 months. When we introduced the younger girls, we switched the whole flock to chick starter and offered oyster shells. That all went well, but our local store is no longer carrying chick feed. I do have some layer pellets on hand though. Is 5 months close enough to feed later? The 5 & 6 month olds are not laying yet (three girls). TIA for advice.
They'll be fine switched over to layer now.
Did you check to see if your feed store offered an all flock formula? You could also feed that with oyster shell on the side.

Layer feed is what I feed my youngsters I only do chick starter for the first 8 weeks then crumble layer feed or all flock which is hard to find sometimes

I have a similar flock w/7 chickens (2 adults 1.5-3 yrs and 5 pullets 4 mos). I started feeding them all grower feed this week since the pullets kept eating out of the layer feed. I have had 2 feeding stations with separate food in the brooder (protected section of the coop from the hens). I think that sounds like what is being recommended. I hope that works over the winter while the hens have stopped laying and are molting here in Western WA.

Back
Top Bottom