Mixed Flock or Not?

They are eating and pooping and talking and walking. Everything going well.

I saw in the www.thegardencoop.com site the great idea of using a bicycle bottle for the water nipples. It is perfect as it has a bracket and the top lets in air. My girls took to the nipples (2 bottles) right away.

My husband gets a kick out of the fact that they sleep in a straight row.

The girls are finally here. They didn't have any Salmon Favs so we have 2 Barred Rocks.
Barred rock (2)
Golden laced Wyandotte
Buckeye
Welsummer
Black Australorp
Golden Buff

Given the "productivity" of my Salmon Faverolles vs most of my other breeds, I would probably skip them were I to start again. Plus, they have BOTH gone broody TWICE. The Rocks are supposed to be good layers, they are on my "potential" list.

Quote:
My criteria was: small large fowl bird, non aggressive, non flighty, quiet... not sure how that one will work out, very cold tolerant, tolerant of confinement, but reputed to be good foragers. I also wanted to support renewal of heritage breeds. Heavy laying ability took a back seat. I chose Dominique as my must have

My thought process re: one breed vs a mixed flock is: If you're planning to breed and want to produce pure birds instead of mutts, get a single breed. But if you just want the fun of having BYC, get a mixed flock.

I kind of followed the same path, though I don't have any Dominiques, yet. I'm OK with the ones I have not all being great layers, but given all the people who would buy extra eggs if I had them, if/when I add, laying productivity will move up the list. That said, my Easter Eggers and Black Australorps are great, the Anconas and Partridge Chanteclers not far behind.

... Are you getting a rooster? You gotta have one, they're great protectors for your gals and watching their interaction is very entertaining. ...

No you don't and they may or may NOT be good protectors. What they WILL do is spend a lot of time mating the hens which can be hard on them if you don't have a good ratio.

Bruce

I started out Dec of 2011 with 4 all different breeds. My niece gave them to me, as she wanted to reduce her flock and one was a Roo, and she lived in town. So I got a Beautiful Blue Ameraucana Rooster (and he is one of the sweetest, nicest, of the flock), a Faverolle hen, who was raised with the Roo, so they were in love, and she is the sweetest of the hens. She lets anyone pet or pick her up. A Buff Orpington hen, and a Partridge Rock hen. All was good.
Then I answered an ad for some (10)young chickens.....people were moving: 5 RIR 5 months old and 5 Iowa Blue's 7 months old (one was a Rooster) Went to pick them up. A coyote ate one of the Blue hens. So now there were 9. Brought them home, put in another pen to watch for a while. The Rooster kept getting out and fighting with my old Roo through the fence. Sold the Iowa Blue Roo, as fast I couldl. He was so beautiful he went fast. Then there were 8. My niece took one of the RIR and one of the Iowa Blues Then there were 6. My dog killed one of the Iowa Blues when it got out. Then there were 5. The last of the Iowa Blue hens was being harrasses by my Ameraucana Roo SO BAD she was out of the pen most of the time. I was afraid my dog would get her, or the Roo would kill her, so I gave her away. Then there were and still are 4 RIR left to add to my flock of 4. Then in Feb. my Partridge Rock hen had heart problems and died. So I had then 6 hens and the Roo. All was good. Gave the Roo more hens and he left the Faverolle alone a bit. She was loosing her feathers because of him.
Then I answered another ad for 4, 8 week old Leghorns. They are now 4 1/2 mo old and in with flock. The RIR keep them away, but not to bad, not very mean at all to them. They are not laying yet. But they have adjusted, they roost with and mostly hang out with the Faverolle, as she is nice to them. My RIR never peck the Faverolle or the old ones , I think because they were here first. But they do mess with the little White Leghorns. But like I said not bad.....not all the time either. Now I think 2 Leghorns might be Roos!!! I hope not. They will either lay or crow!
Then I ordered some chicks from the feed store. 3 Ameraucana's, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, and 2 Polish Buff Laced. I really did not want the Polish after I ordered them, ( and read up more about them), and tried to get them exchanged for more Wyandotte's but the store would not let me. Now I hope the flock except them, as they are very docile and I am afraid they will be picked on big time! And now they are a week old and one of the Polish looks like a Bantam! I don't know what I will do it if it is! I will need to keep them apart. And I can make temporary pens, but rather have them all in the main coop pen and yard.
This will be my flock.....no more till they die off. Then I think by then I won't want to many. Right now I am really loving them all, Can sit and watch them all day! As I am retired now. Or guess not, I am a chicken keeper!

We have 7 girls all different. I can't see too much difference between the breeds - perhaps they are too young. The Buckeye seems the tamest and the golden buff the bravest.

This is a really good post, thank you. I will be ordering my first batch of chicks in Dec and I want a mixed flock. So here is a something I would like to know, most of the chickens I have chosen are regular size, my kids want a black or blue silkie. Does anyone think this will become an issue, with the size and feather differences?
Thank you for you information and help!

Hello, I have an order in for 4 Black Australorps, 4 Rhode Island Reds, 4 golden Buffs, 3 Buff Orpington, 3 Delawares, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Dominiques. They are coming from Meyer on March 17th. I think it will be a beautiful mix of good layers but I am now worried about fighting. Some say that Delawares can be very aggressive. Should I replace them with something else? What kinds of experiences has everyone had?

I hope it is a Buff Brahma! I bought two, along with 3 Cochins, and a few others breeds that I already have. I've found the BB and the Cochins to be much friendlier chicks than the other breeds were. In fact, the RIR chick has come around to being friendly too, since the majority of the other chicks are that way. My other RIR hens were not this friendly until they reached the point of lay, and then they were very friendly.

I hope my BB chicks are as pretty as the one in the picture!

Back
Top Bottom