Mixed Flock Q’s

hobbithobbyfarm

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2023
Hi everyone,

I’m currently incubating a flock of backyard mixes to be my laying flock however, I would also like to have a silkie and polish hen along with a silkie rooster.

I plan on keeping one rooster of my backyard mix flock as well. Would this be an issue? Looking at a flock around 8 hens and 2 rooster.

Ideally in the spring I would seperate the silkie and polish hen and polish rooster in the spring to breed. Then reintegrate into the flock.

Does anyone have a set up similar to this? Am I being too optimistic?

Thank you!

Just wanted to run some facts by you... With multiple roosters,, (my understanding of your post),,, You will have to keep your desired hen away from roosters for at least 3 weeks. This way, her eggs are no longer fertile by who knows who. :gig:lau
Then you would confine your desired pair, to produce fertile eggs. That hen would produce fertile eggs for about 3 weeks, from your paired rooster. After a few copulations,, you, can release that rooster. I would not release the hen,, until you got all the eggs you desired to incubate.
Other option,,, is to have a bachelor pad. Keep the roosters that you do not want in your breeding program prisoners. Just have the one you do want,,,, among the flock. This way, all the hens will be carrying his genetics, in their eggs. Incubate only the eggs from your desired hens.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom