Mixed Flock- silkies / RSL / Columbians

Tsmith1414

Songster
May 13, 2021
I am looking for advice. Silkies are 21 weeks. RSL's are 18 weeks. Columbians are 17 weeks. No eggs as of yet.

Everything I have read and spoken to other Silkie owners is that they require more protein than the typical 16%. I have everyone on 19% protein and the silkies have been gaining weight and strength. They were much too small on the 16%.

Now I am wondering, what the possible effects could to be on the others having that higher protein? I do supplement with oyster shells and some treats (all of them think the treats are monsters out to get them right now but it's getting better).

I had lost several in the beginning whether to health or injuries and am looking to do the best I can to help provide them the best daily nutrients. They do get vitamins in their water every other day (mainly for the Silkies).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for advice. Silkies are 21 weeks. RSL's are 18 weeks. Columbians are 17 weeks. No eggs as of yet.

Everything I have read and spoken to other Silkie owners is that they require more protein than the typical 16%. I have everyone on 19% protein and the silkies have been gaining weight and strength. They were much too small on the 16%.

Now I am wondering, what the possible effects could to be on the others having that higher protein? I do supplement with oyster shells and some treats (all of them think the treats are monsters out to get them right now but it's getting better).

I had lost several in the beginning whether to health or injuries and am looking to do the best I can to help provide them the best daily nutrients. They do get vitamins in their water every other day (mainly for the Silkies).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them. Crumble because the chicks can easily eat it to, but if you have a mixed gender all adult flock, pellet is fine. If you ferment, pellet is fine.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

There is NO NONE ZERO ZILCH NADA downside to "additional" protein at moderate amounts, apart from cost. 16% "layer" feed was formulated to provide a minimum floor at lowest possible cost for commercial layers under commercial management conditions, based on the state of the nutritional science and the needs of the (then) birds of the 60s, 70s, 80s. It has little if anything to do with the optimal nutrition for birds of today.

Over 24% protein (for young water fowl) or somewhere in the mid 30s% (for chickens) you can start to have dietary issues crop up in addition to extreme cost, little (almost too small to be measured) benefits, and of course additional nitrogen excretia primarily in the form of ammonia and related compounds. Which, at commercial scale, is problems of its own - since they have to do something with all those droppings...

I usually recommend that the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management practices feed an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type crumble to all their birds, all their lives, with free choice grit, oyster shell, and fresh clean water available at all times in seperate dishes. Without regard to age, gender, onset of of lay, condition of molt, etc.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them. Crumble because the chicks can easily eat it to, but if you have a mixed gender all adult flock, pellet is fine. If you ferment, pellet is fine.

All of my adult birds - chickens and ducks - get exactly the same feed, which happens to be 20% protein. I feed my youngsters a higher protein mix for their first 6-8 weeks (basically, until they join the adult flock) as I have facilites to separate the flocks. My reasons for that are complicated, its not something I recommend for everyone. But All Flock, all the time, for all the birds of all the genders is a safe and easy way to raise chickens, ducks, geese. Doing something different has limited benefits in limited conditions, and should only be considered after weighing all practical options.

My flock is in my Sig, below. You can see the results of me feed regimen here.

There is NO NONE ZERO ZILCH NADA downside to "additional" protein at moderate amounts, apart from cost. 16% "layer" feed was formulated to provide a minimum floor at lowest possible cost for commercial layers under commercial management conditions, based on the state of the nutritional science and the needs of the (then) birds of the 60s, 70s, 80s. It has little if anything to do with the optimal nutrition for birds of today.

Over 24% protein (for young water fowl) or somewhere in the mid 30s% (for chickens) you can start to have dietary issues crop up in addition to extreme cost, little (almost too small to be measured) benefits, and of course additional nitrogen excretia primarily in the form of ammonia and related compounds. Which, at commercial scale, is problems of its own - since they have to do something with all those droppings...
Thank you so much! The food now is a crumble (mine hate the pellets) and is pretty bang on with the stats you provided + or .5% I appreciate your help and your time. <3

Back
Top Bottom