Mixed flock, they keep mixing the oyster shell into the pellets

I assumed it would be like feeding layer pellets to a non laying bird, too much calcium and bad for the kidneys (if they were fully mixed into the pellets by me). But I'm sure he could do with a lil calcium for his bones n pin feathers!
Yes, that's right: it is a matter of how much calcium. All chickens need calcium, so every kind of complete chicken food has calcium. But laying hens need much MORE calcium than other chickens (about 3 times as much), so foods meant for laying hens have higher amounts than other chicken food.

Yes, that's right: it is a matter of how much calcium. All chickens need calcium, so every kind of complete chicken food has calcium. But laying hens need much MORE calcium than other chickens (about 3 times as much), so foods meant for laying hens have higher amounts than other chicken food.
Thanks for the info! May I ask (hope I'm not annoying y'all experienced chicken owners too much with my questions😅) I have tried asking farmers and farm supply employees but they're not used to people with pet roos n Bantams!

Here it's very very uncommon to find pure grit in farm supply stores. What is most common is oyster grit mix. So it's sand mixed with oyster shell. Will he be able to use the sand pieces as grit or shall I give him gravel and sand from a stream we have nearby? I've been doing that for his grit in case the oyster mix was not good for him. (my rooster is 2 lbs bit over bantam size). You seem like you might know😅🙏🏼

Here it's very very uncommon to find pure grit in farm supply stores. What is most common is oyster grit mix. So it's sand mixed with oyster shell. Will he be able to use the sand pieces as grit or shall I give him gravel and sand from a stream we have nearby? I've been doing that for his grit in case the oyster mix was not good for him. (my rooster is 2 lbs bit over bantam size). You seem like you might know😅🙏🏼
I'm in the USA, where it's easy to buy "grit" (little rocks) and oyster shell (for calcium) separately. So I have never personally had to deal with a choice like that.

In your case, there's a good chance the rooster can pick out suitable bits from the mixture, but providing the gravel/sand from a stream is also fine and might be helpful.

But you might not need to provide grit at all:
--If your chickens have access to gravel or small rocks outdoors, they can get their own grit.

--If your chickens are only eating commercial chicken food (ground up and then formed into pellets), they don't really need grit because the grinding has already been done for them.

(You providing grit will not hurt them in either case. They just would not need it.)

Last edited:
I'm in the USA, where it's easy to buy "grit" (little rocks) and oyster shell (for calcium) separately. So I have never personally had to deal with a choice like that.

In your case, there's a good chance the rooster can pick out suitable bits from the mixture, but providing the gravel/sand from a stream is also fine and might be helpful.

But you might not need to provide grit at all:
--If your chickens have access to gravel or small rocks outdoors, they can get their own grit.

--If your chickens are only eating commercial chicken food (ground up and then formed into pellets), they don't really need grit because the grinding has already been done for them.

(You providing grit will not hurt them in either case. They just would not be need it.)
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom