Mixed flock, they keep mixing the oyster shell into the pellets

Roostersgalore

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Hi! I've read for obvious reasons don't mix the oyster grit with the pellets. I put the grit on the other side of the coop of the food in a little terracotta dish so that it's not easily kicked over like plastic (I have Bantams). The feed is served in a thick solid glass container. They INSIST on kicking over the oyster shell and mixing it into the bedding, and often times some pellets will be scattered around the coop floor too. Will the rooster accidentally ingest oyster grit scratching around in the bedding? Or is it okay? I also found grit in their waterer somehow. 🙄

I put the oyster grit bowl in the nesting box where the rooster can't fly . But do I have to deep cleaning the pellet crumb/ oyster mix from the floor?

Can you post some photos of your coop setup and feed stations (bowls)?

It won't hurt your rooster if he eats a few pieces of oyster shell.
As for food spilling into the bedding, if the birds are not cleaning it up (eating it), then it may be a good idea to sweep up the spilled feed. Over time it may get damp, soiled, moldy, get old.

LOL Chickens scratch a lot, so it's not uncommon for them to kick food/bedding/dirt/poop into water or feed containers.

I put the oyster grit bowl in the nesting box where the rooster can't fly . But do I have to deep cleaning the pellet crumb/ oyster mix from the floor?
You can usually trust a chicken (hen or rooster) to eat the right amount of oyster shell.
Don't worry about trying to keep the dish away from the rooster, and you should not need to worry about him eating it from the floor either.

When chickens scratch around on the ground or the floor and pick up bits to eat, they are very good at getting just the right piece: a grain of corn, a tiny seed, a crawling bug, a bread crumb, a pellet of feed, a piece of oyster shell, or whatever else they were trying to grab.

Depending on your set up you might want to try a dispenser that can be hung, to make it harder to knock over. Hang it up closer to head level and they're less likely to kick bedding in too. I just have little parrot cups like this that I hang on a bit of wire scrap, but anything similar can work:
parrotcup.jpg

Depending on your set up you might want to try a dispenser that can be hung, to make it harder to knock over. Hang it up closer to head level and they're less likely to kick bedding in too. I just have little parrot cups like this that I hang on a bit of wire scrap, but anything similar can work:
View attachment 2942186
Trying to think of who I copied with mounted buckets for The Flock House, maybe @sourland. I can't really recall.

I copied those cups for The Peanut Patch. Came smaller than I expected, but will still work.

Chickens scratch. Everywhere they aren't meant to. And the rooster can it the shells.

Also, why can't the oyster shells be mixed with the pellets?
I assumed it would be like feeding layer pellets to a non laying bird, too much calcium and bad for the kidneys (if they were fully mixed into the pellets by me). But I'm sure he could do with a lil calcium for his bones n pin feathers!

Back
Top Bottom