Mixed flock: vaxed + unvaxed?

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
I have 3 chicks coming to me in a day, arriving to my local Co-Op from McMurrays and they will be vaxxed. And then I will be bringing 9 more to my flock in early April. These latter will be locally raised, and won't be vaccinated at all. They will be from a small farm...I plan to keep a small flock, these will be my only layer hens ( yeah right!!!
roll.png
)

Will I encounter problems by having the mix?

I am planning on raising them organically, and won't be using meds or medicated feed (against cocci's)

Anyone have experience with a small flock of mixed vaxed and non-vaxed?

Thanks!!
love.gif

From what I have read on here, mixing them should not be a problem, as they only spread virus for a short time (day or two?) after they have been vaccinated. Anyway, people do it all the time.

Thanks, chookchick.

I am wondering if this will be problematic, long term? As in, will the unvaxxed part of the flock be at higher risk than normal for disease?

I don't want to set up my chick peas for an early demise.
sad.png

Any experience from someone who currently has a mixed (vaxed/non-vaxed) flock?

I will have 12 birds total in 4 weeks...

They will be vaxed for Marek's for sure, and possibly coccidiosis, though I need to confirm the latter...

The next batch will be chicks, from a tight knit group who grow chickens organically on one of our Gulf Islands (20 miles away-ish) I live in BC, Canada. I would say that was local?

It will interesting to watch for sure, and I'm sure things will go fine, but being new and all, I worry! I feel like I did before I birthed my first babe. Then I went on to home birth my second, nearly unassisted in fact, and it was like, hey, what was all of the worry over? I can do this!!!

Chooks will be just the same, lol!

Interested to see what comes out of this. I have several chicks that have been vaccinated in with some that I hatched. I guess we will see in time!! Then we will be able to share what we find out!
smile.png
Good luck, maybe someone on here will share what experience they have.

We had accidental mixing when we forgot to get our second batch of chicks vaccinated for Marek's. They went right in with the older chicks, and no bad things have happened (two weeks so far).

Back
Top Bottom