Mixed flock versus single breed flock - pros and cons? Which do you keep?

IMG_20190502_174328.jpg
IMG_20190502_184028.jpg
I currently have a mixed breed flock (Orps, Polish, Sussex, Wyandotte, Jersey Giant) but since half of my chickens are Orpingtons and there are still several other color varieties of Orpington I'd like to collect (like splash, chocolate cuckoo and crele) I've been considering eventually phasing over into a single breed flock as they get older, selling out my other breeds to make room for incoming Orps.

Which do you have, and why? What are some of the advantages of a single breed flock versus keeping several breeds all together?

Do you mix other poultry in with your chickens too (ducks, geese, quail)? Do you keep them segregated or are they comingling?

I have twenty-four chickens with four EEs (all look different), and two Black Jersey Giants (which we can tell apart)
IMG_20190502_184028.jpg
. All my other birds are different breeds with a few being a different color of the same breed. The reason? I get to know my chickens as individuals. Every one has a name and a distinct personality. I retired last year, and this "hobby" has been such a blessing! The picture is of our chicken palace that Hubby is building. It will be completely enclosed since we have coyotes and hawks.

Last edited:
There is no need to do any research, you will find in any species biology book that chickens among some other species are designated as Fowl which is the correct term.
Why they are categorized differently to birds will take some research.

I’m sorry but I don’t follow, it’s common knowledge that chickens along with other poultry are birds. They have feathers, wings, beaks, and lay eggs. Something as simple as a google search will state that they are in fact birds.

I don’t doubt that they are descendants from dinosaurs, but they’re still birds. And yes they are fowl, but fowl are birds.

I’m just really curious to find out what or whom told you that they aren’t birds, or better yet, if they aren’t birds then what are they? :lau

In March, I got 3 chicks from the hardware store. 3 from one breeder and 3 from a second breeder. Each was a different breed sort of. The first breeder told me that I was getting an Americana, not the true Ameraucana, and an Olive Egger. Turns out that they they are EEs and one is a cockerel. Two of hers are now dead, courtesy of my dog.

What I have left are an EE roo, a Buff Orpington, a Blue splash CM, a Cream Legbar, and an Olive Egger I'm sad about the EE pullet, I was excited to see her egg color in the future.

Next week I'm adding a barred cochin and a Australorp x Cochin.

Personally I wanted a colorful egg basket, and didn't know which breeds I'd like. So I thought I'd try one of each until I found ones I preferred. They are easy to tell apart, and all have names. I can't wait to get to know the new ones. I've had the others for 6 weeks or so now, and already have favorites.

Now that I do indeed have a roo, I plan to let the Orpi hatch them next year since she will likely go broody. Then I'll have a natural meat flock.

I’m sorry but I don’t follow, it’s common knowledge that chickens along with other poultry are birds. They have feathers, wings, beaks, and lay eggs. Something as simple as a google search will state that they are in fact birds.

I don’t doubt that they are descendants from dinosaurs, but they’re still birds. And yes they are fowl, but fowl are birds.

I’m just really curious to find out what or whom told you that they aren’t birds, or better yet, if they aren’t birds then what are they? :lau

Here's an interesting article about what I think Shadrach is talking about: https://www.kent.ac.uk/news/science/3384/chickens-closer-to-dinosaurs-than-other-birds

Here's an interesting article about what I think Shadrach is talking about: https://www.kent.ac.uk/news/science/3384/chickens-closer-to-dinosaurs-than-other-birds

Yes, I’ve read this article before. It’s very interesting. I think what I’m trying to say is that I agree completely with the fact that chickens are descended from dinosaurs, in fact they’re the closest modern day relative to the Tyrannosaurus rex! But as of now, they are still considered birds.

I mix it up.
6 Reds, 4 Buffs, 4 Ameraucana's, 4 Wyandots 1 Australope.
Right now 8 are still in a brooder box in the coop, they're 4 weeks behind the other birds.
In another week or so when their size is a bit larger the brooder box disappears.
That'll give me time to get a 2-100' rolls of 6' fence to go around the coop.
Free range is out, too many coyotes come around.

I have a mixed flock. I like the different looks, egg colors, and personality. I have a SL rooster, a barred Rick, a RIR, 2-light brahmas, salmon faverolle, 3-EE's, sapphire gem, jersey giant, olive egger, cinnamon queen, silver lace polish, white crested polish and a leghorn rooster.

I started last year and bought 4 girls, 2 turned out to be boys and the plan changed because of course I needed more girls because of the two boys.

Interesting conversation. I have a mixed flock that is almost 3 weeks old, and I was observing tonight that at least some of them seem to have found the others of their breed. I'd be interested to know more about data on the pros and cons of mixed versus pure flocks.
I also do not at all see how not breeding true for color could possibly disqualify them from being purebreds, from a purely genetic standpoint. Are there no "approved" breeds that aren't completely sorted by color? Heck, a well-bred litter of Labrador puppies might contain different colors, but they're all Labs! Is this just a chicken semantic thing?

I agree it depends on your goals, if you want different color eggs and birds there's plenty of great breeds. I've had a few of the most popular. When I decided to get back into having chickens I decided to have just one breed and settled on LF Partridge Chanteclers. They are great for cold weather, lay good, great temperament, great broody hens and best of all sell easy. I almost always sell out first at the tail gate sale. I never have enough to sell and put a good price on trios and hens. I always sell young healthy chickens so I don't have old birds at home either, except for a favorite:). The people with cages of mixed breeds end up bringing them home or giving them away. To me that's the big advantage to having one breed you enjoy, you can always have a young healthy flock.

I agree it depends on your goals, if you want different color eggs and birds there's plenty of great breeds. I've had a few of the most popular. When I decided to get back into having chickens I decided to have just one breed and settled on LF Partridge Chanteclers. They are great for cold weather, lay good, great temperament, great broody hens and best of all sell easy. I almost always sell out first at the tail gate sale. I never have enough to sell and put a good price on trios and hens. I always sell young healthy chickens so I don't have old birds at home either, except for a favorite:). The people with cages of mixed breeds end up bringing them home or giving them away. To me that's the big advantage to having one breed you enjoy, you can always have a young healthy flock.

I like your name. I am moving toward fewer breeds in order to be able to raise chicks with characteristics i like. This is my first Spring raising chickens ever. I am in love with Wyandottes and so...

Back
Top Bottom