Mixed flock vs one breed??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dixiedoodle, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tell me why you have only one breed OR why you choose to have a mixed flock!

I have my list ready and will be getting at least 4 breeds....WHY?
    1. because I fell in love with too many breeds that I could not choose only one.

2. (at least in my mind) if I have several different breeds, they will have different cycles--like they won't all molt or go broody at once.

3.Maybe at least one breed will lay really well all winter and one will lay well even in the hottest conditions..

4. the different colors of eggs that each breed lays!!Thank you Dixie

2. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I chose many breeds because I love so many different breeds. Bantams are all I have, they are small, therefore, you can have more of them! [​IMG]

I enjoy breeding them - all the different varieties. Frizzles, silkies, showgirls, OEGB, Japs, and MUTTS! I have some beautiful MUTTS![​IMG]

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    i dont think i could just have one breed.Im having a hard time now not getting more till i know how many of my EE's are pullets.Theres just to many chioces.Its like i ahve to have one of each in every color shape and size....

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I couldn't have just one kind....I like the look of a mixed flock way too much! [​IMG]

5. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I would never have just one kind - I haven't got the rest of my life to sit and ponder on exactly what kind I would have if I only had one choice:lol:
    Barb

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  6. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I kinda take eggs and stick them in the bator.

"oh look, mom! This one has three eyes!"

7. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I like a variety. I think just one type of chicken in my yard would be kinda boring-- I mean, I just can't imagine looking outside and only seeing white leghorns!

8. StellaRella

StellaRella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Oregon
    Variety is the spice of life![​IMG]

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I have several breeds, some are together and some are in separate pens so I can have purebreds when I hatch.

Jean

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sometimes I keep just one breed... one breed in each coop! I too love the mix, so have a mixed flock and smaller breeder coops for the chance I want pure eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by