Mixed flock

kayjk27

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
King County, WA
Wondering if anyone has experience having large breeds and bantams get along peacefully?

I have:
Light Brahma cockerel (3.5-4 months old)
SN black austrolorp pullet (3 months)
--these 2 get along great--
2 cochins and 1 welsummer (I hope all pullets, about 9-10 weeks. They stick together and are usually separate from the older 2, but all share a coop peacefully)

I just got 2 bantam frizzle cochins that are a week old. They will be spending the next 2 months in the brooder inside the run where they can be seen and heard by the others.

If any turn out to be boys, they will be rehomed. So far my Brahma boy (named Zazu) is a gentle giant. I introduced the cochins/welsummer to him when they were 8 weeks and it only took 2 days for them to be fully integrated, no problems.

Anyways, just wanted to share my flock Dynamics and hear experiences with similar breeds together. Thanks! :)

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180925113100991_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180917_120002.jpg
IMG_20180923_131621.jpg
IMG_20180924_153038.jpg

I have been keeping chickens as pets for over 20 years. The flock never exceeded 9 hens, but I liked a mixed variety. Never incurred any issues. You must be understanding, that a pecking order will be established in ALL flocks. As long as there are no viscous encounters, all will be OK. My mix was (size) from Serama to Easter Eggers. No roosters. Here is a quick pix of flock from some time ago.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome

I have a large flock with several bantams in the mix, including silkies and pekins. I have a few large boys, but the bantam hens usually hang around with the Silkie or the Leghorn, both smaller boys. Whilst I find that it works for me, I worry about the risk of injury posed by your big guy; when the only man around the house is 10 times the size of them, I wonder that they could be hurt by him when mating.

Back
Top Bottom