Mixed Flock

brianp

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
I currently only have 2 hens, (1 Buff O and 1 SL Wyandotte) and looking to add to my flock soon. We would like to get 3 more just not decided on the what breed yet. What would be a good breeds to consider that would make a good pet. We want to be able to handle, pet, etc. My wife wants a silkie and I want to get a RIR, GL Wyandottes, Barred Rock, Australorps, or Sexlink. Will any of these be ok in the same coop with my hens? What about bantams? Here's a pic of my coop I think its big enough for 3 more.

54763_coop.jpg

Last edited:
So your goal is pets. You are not worried about egg production, bug and pest control, showing, breeding, and very obviously not about meat. I don't know how big your area really is. The more crowded they are, the more likely bad things will happen.

Each chicken is an individual with its own personality. I find that the personality descriptions in general hold true if you have enough for averages to mean anything, but on an individual basis, they are not always absolutely correct. And you can seriously influence that by handling he chickens and such, especially if you raise them from babies.

In general, any of those breeds should work. It is always possible that you will get a Matilda the Hun who is off the scale. Chickens have their psychos too.

Sometimes you will get a Silkie that will dominate a mixed flock, but they are usually more laid back and can be bullied by others. They usually make great pets and usually get along in a mixed flock. I'd certainly try one if your wife likes them.

RIR and Wyandottes don't have that great a reputation in general as tremendously great in a flock. They can be aggressive toward other chickens. Many people have them as pets and keep them in a mixed flock with no problems. You already have a Wyandotte. You can see what she is like. I won't say that RIR or Wyandotte are horrible choices either as pets or for their behavior in a mixed flock, but I'd think from breed tendencies, the BR or BA are probably better choices. I assure you many, many people that have RIR or Wyandottes will disagree with me on that.

Sex links can have many different breeds as parents. They are not a breed but a cross so they do not have a "breed" tendency as far as personalities go. It is extremely common for RIR's to be the father in a sex link cross because they have the right genes for color or pattern sexing and they come from a great egg laying line. Many people on here comment on how great a pet their sex link makes. Occasionally you will see a post where a sex link is aggresive in a flock but not all that often.

To summarize, I think with handling any of these will probably make a good pet. As far as mixing in with yout mixed flock, I don't think you will have enough that the averages mean a whole lot, but the general tendencies do. If all else is equal, I'd probably shy away from a RIR or Wyandotte, but if you have your heart set on one, I see no real reason not to try one.

I only have 1 or 2 of each breed (see my sig line), but my friendliest ones are my Barred Plymouth Rock, my Australorp, and my Speckled Sussex.
smile.png

Appreciate all the infor Ridgerunner.... We do want a pet, but egg production is good too. We had 2 SL Wyanottes and just lost one to round worms. She was a great pet and the other SLW not so much so I hear what your saying about the differnt temperments within a breed. This may be a dumb question, but do silkies lay eggs? I think we will get one eventually just wondering.

We are in no rush and right now just trying to make sure the 2 we have left are healthy and worm free. I was thinking this spring getting some young pullets or maybe even chicks so they get used to us early on. Is there a certain age limit we should try to get so they can get used to being handled?

Quote:
I've never heard of a Speckled Sussex, but just looked at pic. I like the look of those.

Quote:
Same here and i have 15 different breeds, i don't handle any of my birds after they hatched and they grow up to be an absolute pest when it comes to being held and petted.

Ps they get along great with all the othe birds.

Last edited:
I have 8 different breeds, and they get along great! I do not handle them a lot but they do eat from my hand everyday and I give them treats so they never runaway from me. I have found that they make better pets after they start laying so don't judge a chicken's personality before they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom