Mixing age class

Cooper Gs Coop

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Central New York
We have 13 total. 1 rooster (15 weeks) and 12 hens. 6 are 8 weeks old and 7 are 15. The younger ones have been in a dog kennel inside of the main coop for about 3 to 4 weeks now. All 13 have been separated so far but I'm wondering if it's almost time to let them loose with the older ones. Thinking I can fashion the kennel to have big enough openings for the little ones to escape through into the safety of the kennel. Any tips are welcome. Thank you in advance.

We have 13 total. 1 rooster (15 weeks) and 12 hens. 6 are 8 weeks old and 7 are 15. The younger ones have been in a dog kennel inside of the main coop for about 3 to 4 weeks now. All 13 have been separated so far but I'm wondering if it's almost time to let them loose with the older ones. Thinking I can fashion the kennel to have big enough openings for the little ones to escape through into the safety of the kennel. Any tips are welcome. Thank you in advance.
The only way you will be able to tell is put them together. I usually do that after first dark---so the newer ones get a night in the new coop so they be less scared to go in the coop the next night. Either way I would plan to do this if I was going to be home for their first day so I could be their at first light to watch and make sure they are getting along good together and check on them several times during the day---if they are not getting along then I could grab them up if needed. Good Luck

When my only hen went broody and the rooster was wandering around the house and sulking in the hall way at night, I decided to introduce him to the chicks inside. Usually he only encounters them when outside during the day and often chased and pecked them, one time even picking one up and trying to run off with the baby.

I brought the sulking roo into the living room where we were keeping the chicks, who were about 2 month old, and sat down with him on my lap and them all on the couch... Lets just say, the chicks were more aggressive than the rooster at first, pecking at his comb and wattles until I poked them to tell them to stop. After that, they snuggled and after a while when I needed to sleep, I put the roo back in the kitchen where he resides, and in the morning when he and the chicks were let out, he was completely fine with them and were treating them as his flock.

Now the chicks live with their dad and follow him around everywhere when I am not around. :p Hen is still a grump towards them, but the rooster stays out of the scuffles between her and the little ones now and the chicks are a lot faster than the hen and can avoid her when she is off the nest, so I am not too worried. The main issue was when the crazy buggers kept poking their heads in the nest box being nosy and getting a good peck on the head! Took about 10 times being pecked for them to stop doing that.

Thank you. I think this weekend when I'm home all day I'll let the 8 week olds out in the yard first and then after a little hit let the 15 week olds out Hoping there won't be many issues since they've all been living in the same coop for almost 4 weeks now. With the open cage dog kennel, hopefully they've gotten to know each other by now.

Back
Top Bottom