Mixing ages question

DraftXJumper

Songster
6 Years
May 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Hello! I have read up on introducing young chicks with an established flock...but I have a question about flip-flopping that. I have a young flock of (4) five-week-old chicks. I would like to get a pullet or two that is closer to laying age. The older birds would be the new ones. Does this situation make integration any easier, or is it still very likely the older ones would beat up the youngins? The young pullets forage in the run every day and go inside at night still at this point.

It doesn’t matter who beats up who, most likely bigger will end pecking at smaller. Have plenty of sight blockers and escape routes, 2 Feeders, 2 waterers , no problems. Have the feeders out of sight of each other . The chicks go from one to the other depending on which one is out of sight of the hens that moment.
if there is not blood and wounds, do not separate, no matter how noisy the chasing gets. Mine have been integrated for three weeks but it’s only getting spicy now as the Leghorn realizes her bottom run is in danger of moving from 4th to 8th as the chicks get bigger. It sounds like a raccoon is slaughtering all my chickens every 5 minutes when they go to chasing and get a couple of solid pecks on a 7 week old. This is all good and part of how animals establish dominant pecking orders.

I think I would still go with the separate pens in full site for a few days at least.- Even if it means you take some extra wire and divide the area in a corner or something. I am not sure I would throw older ones into a new environment with the babies. But I am no expert. Maybe someone who knows more will come along to answer.

Does this situation make integration any easier, or is it still very likely the older ones would beat up the youngins? The young pullets forage in the run every day and go inside at night still at this point.
Yes.
Why are chicks still inside?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
It's hard to wait for eggs,
but bringing in older birds also runs the risk of also bringing in pests and disease.

Why are chicks still inside?

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?

Because the coop isn't quite finished. Hopefully today or early this week!

Coop is 6.5 x 4.5
Run 20' x 27'.
It's not predator proof, so the girls will be locked in the coop at night. The run is a repurposed 5' chain link dog run that was here when we bought the house. I put chicken wire at the bottom to keep the girls in while they're small enough to get through the chain link. After the coop is built, my husband is going to build a covered porch-type area for right outside the coop door for rainy days. We will probably get aviary netting for the entire thing for hawks. Right now, the girls have a temporary covered area and lots of beach umbrellas up for shade and to deter hawks.

Because the coop isn't quite finished. Hopefully today or early this week!

Coop is 6.5 x 4.5
Run 20' x 27'.
It's not predator proof, so the girls will be locked in the coop at night. The run is a repurposed 5' chain link dog run that was here when we bought the house. I put chicken wire at the bottom to keep the girls in while they're small enough to get through the chain link. After the coop is built, my husband is going to build a covered porch-type area for right outside the coop door for rainy days. We will probably get aviary netting for the entire thing for hawks. Right now, the girls have a temporary covered area and lots of beach umbrellas up for shade and to deter hawks.
4x6 should be good for 4 birds.
I'd not add more birds at this point, get thru your first winter.

Back
Top Bottom